Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Hello Phil just a query reguarding the hitachi multizone air

Hello Phil just a query reguarding the hitachi multizone air to air climate systerm , Do you think that this is a reliable system to save me 50% of my gas cost which is approximately £1900 per year Clyde Norfolk.

The issue with those multizones is the availability of *established* local and *well trained service. That is a big problem in many areas, for instance much of the USA, but is not a problem in Australia for instance.

These are *very complex systems with many micro computers on board..and hundreds of frail wire connections.. these tend not to be robust systems. Repair and maintenance costs can offset energy cost savings in many but not all cases.

I will get this note out to you now, we can discuss it without a time limit as you tell me about the size of your building.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Phil the size of the rooms are 450 sq feet

Hello again, I need to know the square footage of the entire building (roughly)... is this a home? or a tall building with dozens or hundreds of offices.

And I need to know which direction you are in from the center of the nearest city so that I can see if there is any local and well established service capabilities for Hitachi in your area.. (thats the most crucial point).

With out established local service, many of these type systems end up being replaced,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Phil the footage is 800 sq ft

Hello again, I would not buy such a complex system to heat and cool an 800 square foot house in most cases... or in a rural area where service companies that deal in Hitachi are not located.

I am an experienced mechanical engineer and do those sorts or energy use calculations dozens of times a year, for 52 years now. Energy savings projections of 1900 pounds a year on an 800 square foot house is a bit over optimistic... especially when you consider that a single service call can cost 500 to 1,000 pounds.

I recommend that a person buy the simplest appliances possible these days... thats what I do in my own house. I do it because modern appliances cost a lot to repair and are built to fail completely within 10 years or so.

If you can be more specific about where you are located, which nation etc, I can be more specific with my advice. How cold does it get in the winter where you are, and hot does it get in the summer. and what are you using to heat and cool the house now.

Hitachi will be a good choice only if you live in a country with several Hitachi dealers within a 10 km radius of your house... in that case you might get lucky and go 10 years with only a few minor repairs and actually save enough money to pay for the system.

Tell me which city you nearest to and I can see how many Hitachi dealers are nearby.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Diss Norfolk

Hello again, your Hitachi dealer listed below deals in Mitsubishi equipment as well... Mitsubishi is bit more established than Hitachi...

If it turns out that the company has been in business longer than 5 or 10 years, under the same ownership, and his prices are reasonable. A Hitachi system would worth a look.

However at those prices, I would consider one or two 'through the wall heat pumps' at a tiny fraction of the cost... those are not as attractive, or as quiet...but you can buy two of them for less than 400 lbs each as a rule, and when one of them fails after 5 or 10 years you just shove it out the opening onto the lawn and fit a new one. Meantime the one remaining unit will keep the house comfortable until you get the failed one replaced.

There are no repair costs with those... and you can choose to heat and cool only the space you are in at the time, thats the similar advantage that the Hitachi split system offers, but at much less initial cost.

If you think the 1900 lb fuel cost savings per year might be worth the huge initial investment and on gong repair costs... ask the company if they will guarantee the cost savings.
(they seldom ever do, because the sales presentation is generally quite a bit optimistic.)

It is my view that annual savings on an 800 square foot house does *not warrant getting involved with an ultra complex system as the Hitachi or Mitsubishi offerings.... when that one unit fails, and all do sooner or later, then the entire house is without heating or cooling.

Delta Climate Control Grange Bungalow,, Chapel Lane, Hardwick, Norwich, Norfolk NR15 2SW, United Kingdom ‎ +44 1603 340094 ‎ · Category: Air Conditioning Service and Repair "Approved installers of Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Heatking heat pumps and air conditioning systems plus all commercial refrigeration equipment at the best ..." -

We can continue this conversation in as much detail as you need without any time limit as long as you rate my work so far positively.