Bryan, Handyman
Experience:  HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license
10522817

I have a RHEEM pool heat pump (Model #: RMST2-83D) that makes

I have a RHEEM pool heat pump (Model #: RMST2-83D) that makes a short buzzing sound when I turn it on. The fan runs fine, but it makes this buzzing noise every minute or so. It will not heat the pool water, and when it makes the buzzing sound, the lights in the house dim. Is it the compressor?

bryanpaul52 :

Good morning, The buzzing you hear is the compressor trying to start. now It may not be a bad compressor but the capacitor that starts the compressor. waht happens in when the compressor trys to start and you hear that buzz the overload on the compressor kicks it off. Its best to have an HVAC tech look at this if you have noexperience with these. Its sounds like that may be the issue but it very well could be the compressor also.