Bryan, Handyman
Experience:  HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license

kenmore 80 series gas dryer. Ignighter will not light. Ignighter,

kenmore 80 series gas dryer. Ignighter will not light. Ignighter, thermostat, fuses, and coils are good. Correct me if I am wrong; the large coil engages and then the ignighter glows, then the flame sencer opens the second coil. I can normally hear the click of the first coil and then the ignighter lights. Im not hearing that click.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

bryanpaul52 :

good morning, when you say the coils are good how did you determine that ? do youi have the model number ?

Customer:

new coils out of the package. dryer at the shop. Kenmore 80 series gas dryer about 12 years old

Customer:

manual dials

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, I really need the model number so I can see what parts are in this. can you get that to me later ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay why the bad rating ? I don't understand that. I'm trying to help you but every dryer has different thermostats and I cant tell you what to check without the model number . by rating me bad it can also hurt your chances of getting an answer. I did nothing wrong to deserve that and other techs will see that and not want to work with you. Is there something alse we can do to change that rating ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to HVAC by mistake. A qualified appliance technician is what I needed. You also removed yourself from the chat room. I needed to go elsewhere. I am a n appliance technition but I need Help on this one from someone that may have seen this problem before.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I understand and I am an appliance tech but as you know its very hard to determine a particular problem with being able to bring up parts and speck sheets. If I were you tell you one thing the machine you are working on may not have a particular part that another machine does. so in essence without a model number I'm blind . is there a way you can get the model number. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Its a very common dryer. Why am I not hearing the click prior to Ignighter. All the components have been replased with new parts and I still get no glow from the ignighter

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

yeah I understand, well taking a guess because of course I don't have a model number my guess would be the flame sensor. your right about it sending power the secondary coil. I would replace the flame sensor. you say you checked all the thermostats and changed the coils so theres nothing left. good luck I hope it takes care of it. if not when you get there and replace the sensor get the model number and I can tell you better whats going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The flame sensor doesnt come into play untill the ignighter glows. The ignighter is not glowing. Does it have a bearing?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes it actually does. if the flame sensor is bad the igniter wont glow. you see the flame sensor starts sensing and then the igniter comes on and when the flame sensor see the igniter it clicks off and the valve opens. when you disconnect a wire from the flame sensor just for an example the igniter will not come on.
Bryan, Handyman
Experience: HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the only thing I havent tried.