Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

Bryant HVAC units, one for downstairs doesnt blow cold air,

Bryant HVAC units, one for downstairs doesn't blow cold air, but heat works.
Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent" service. Thanks for the chance to help.
I'll need a bit more information here to help. Are these furnaces, air handlers? Is this a heat pump system or standard central AC? What is the full model number of the outside unit on the one that is not cooling? Is that outside unit running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure if it's a heat pump system, however here's the model number:

Bryant 661CJ024-E

That's a heat pump. Is the outside unit running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It runs, the fan comes on when I set the AC to say, 68F (It's currently 77F downstairs)

Just the fan on the outside unit? How about the compressor? Is the suction line (the larger of the two copper lines going into the unit and covered with black foam) cold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a way I can tell if the compressor is on if the top fan is spinning? Checking the feeder line now to see if it's cold.

You can feel the suction line (the one that should be cold) for vibration for one thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The suction line (wrapped in a cover) appears to be air temperature and not cold at all, and it doesn't appear to have vibration other than maybe from the fan being on, the fan is also blowing cooler air compared to the other unit.

OK, there are 2 possibilities here. The first one is that the compressor is not running. This could be from a bad run capacitor, or a burned off wire. The second is that the compressor is running, but that the unit has lost charge. You could open up the cover close to where all the electrical wires come into the outside unit, look for the capacitor and see if there is an oily residue in this area or if the top of the capacitor is bulging. If this appears OK, the capacitor could still be bad but would need to be checked with a capacitor tester. Here is a guide on checking capacitors if you can't visually see anything wrong. Also while in there, look for burned off wires, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the average costs for each possible fault, considering if I go through a HVAC person (someone local)?

A bad run capacitor should be minimal, 1 hour service call plus around $25-45 for the capacitor depending on what type it is.
To charge a unit may be considerably more, 1-2 hours of service labor plus the cost of refrigerant. if it's R22, it is expensive, probably $25 a pound (with markup) and it could be down 1-3 pounds. Local service labor rates vary, but $100/hr is about average.