BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Turn on A/C without memory card?

Full disclosure: I am not an HVAC technician or service person, just a homeowner. Thunderstorm fried the control board on my Rheem/Ruud 5-ton unit. Board has been replaced, but the clowns that installed the unit originally 3 years ago ran off with the memory card needed to load the board with the correct settings. Replacement card will take 7-10 days to ship. I'm in Houston and A/C is almost mandatory now. Is there any safe way to turn on the A/C manually (via the DIP switches or other "hack") until the memory card arrives? Thanks in advance for your help.

Additions: I have found the system information.  If I am reading this info correctly from the manuals and receipts, the memory card part number is XXXXX and the unit is Rheem FG RGPE-10EBRMR. Hope that helps.

This can get involved depending on thermostat, which I have to assume you indeed are utilizing a communicating thermostat. This thermostat wires a bit differently that standard stats.

Now this conversion caan be done but you would need to use a temp thermostat aand chnge the wiring from exisiting.

As I mentioned this is bit involved, so to assist you I have downloaded the manual for you. I had to download at a 3rd party site due to size.

This is the "bible" for this particular system.

Follow the LINK HERE. The only annoying thing about the storage site is may have to x out of some pop up ads.

If you have any issues please let me know, but I am afraid this is not just flipping a couple switches.

Billy