Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 model #AUD080C936H4.

Customer Question

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 model #AUD080C936H4. The blowler motor makes a humming sound but does not start.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

When the motor hums, have you tried to hand spin it to see if it then takes off and runs?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. It spins freely but won't take off

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

Usually if it takes off when spun it is the capacitor
5 Mfd 370 Volt Oval Motor Run Capacitor

But in your case it could be either the motor or the capacitor.

Since it hums we know it has power. Now it is just a matter of if the capacitor or motor is at fault.

You could replace the capacitor first. (cheap and easy) and if that fails move onto the motor. If the motor is bad the capacitor needs to be replaced anyway.

I am available for follow up if you have a meter with a microfarad setting and wish to test the capcitor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a meter with microfarad. Just for clarification, humming = power, no need to check the board? Any idea of ballpark figure for that type of motor?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If the motor hums it likely has power.

If you like you can measure the wires to motor to verify 120v.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy,

I replaced both the motor and the cap and still same noise. fan turns very slowly and motor heats up
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a meter?

Or we can wire direct as a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i Have a voltmeter. However I wired the motor direct to the on/off door switch with the same result.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
What is the power being supplied to the motor via the door switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
115 vac
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me what wires from motor are connected to what terminals.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
black to cool, blue to heat, yellow to park, red to park and white to cir
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a circN, or Neutral? Thw hite wire should be on a neutral with other white wires...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on the neutral side of the white rogers 505A50-473. Just removed all but the black wire and white wire direct wired to switch and the fan ran backwards at hi speed
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

does the new motor have the directional plugs to change rotation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if it does. I can give you the grainger model number if that would help, otherwise I'll need to remove it to see. It ran in the right direction with everything hooked up just slowly.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Grainger number will help...how is the capaicor hooked up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor is actually a Dayton 3LU79J. The cap is hooked up with the wires provide from the motor. One wire brown and the other brown/white but the cap does not indicate any specific way to hook up and I've tried it both ways.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
At the rear of the motor are ther 4 shorter wires attached to each other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is what appears to be a small cylinder shaped object with white and black wires coming in from both ends.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Unplug the cylinder at itss center connection point. Then turn the plugs so the position is reversed.

Then try unit again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor is now working full speed with the wires in place but still turning backwards.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
And you reversed the plug?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, its weird because before I got only a hum and/or slow speed with all wires connected and now it goes full speed but wrong direction with all wires connected. I even tried to reverse it back and got the slow speed again.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is this motor capable of 115v or 230v?

Is there a line drawing on the box or the motor identifying reverse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the box says 115v and gives no indication of reverse.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Ok,

with just the black and white hooked up....then by swapping the plug connection we should have reversal.

Can you hook the white and black direct and bypass the module totally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
direct wired and still wrong direction
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
when you reverse the plug whaat happens now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still wired directly or back to through the module?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
wired direct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still the wrong direction
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
does the plug look like this?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes that's what it looks like
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
so on the revere plug..with combination blacks to blacks....or black to white rotation does not change?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Well,

you are not going to like this especially given your challenges thus far.

1) If the motor will not run while hooked to the module, the module may be energizing more than one terminal at a time. We know the blower motor runs with module bypassed.

HOWEVER - your motor is not respondin to the reverse plug. This is not a in depth thing to convert. as you ee the plug simply swaps to reverse rotation. But yours is not working.

I really am sorry you have so much going on...but right now I would tke the motor back and swap it...they can even bench test it to confirm.

Then I would replace the module, or at a minumum do not hook anything more than black and white.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks for the help. I will see what I can do at Grainger.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Just respond back here as you are ready to proceed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help Billy, I returned the motor to Grainger and although they said they don't test motors, they gave me a new one. When I hooked it up it ran and all is well. Thanks again.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Excellent news!

Thanks for sticking with me.