Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

how do I get my honeywell programmable thermostat to reset?

how do I get my honeywell programmable thermostat to reset? the display went blank
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

What function were you using when this occurred?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The thermostat was installed last fall--new home--and worked perfectly all winter. Today I was trying to switch to air conditioning/cooling, I tried to do it manually by pushing buttons on the display. When I switched the "system" setting to "cool" instead of "heat", that is when I lost all power to the thermostat display.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

This means there is a short in the wiring to the ac unit...

What is make and model of the furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is a Maytag, sorry I cannot locate the model number.

If it is a short in the AC unit then probably I should just call my original HVAC installers tomorrow and get them to fix it.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

You are correct.

There is a 3amp fuse on the circuit board in the durnace that blew to protect the system.

The thermostat wire that goes outside to the ac unit can get ice damage, rodents, weed wacker....or hooked up wrong.

I am confident they will find a minor wiring issue and replace a 3 amp fuse.

I really wish you well and if you have further questions on this just let me know.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that is the problem. It is true that they originally installed the HVAC incorrectly since they already had to come on a service call and fix the fan speed.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

The good news is that they should cover it under warranty.

Too bad it didnt work first time out...always dissappointing when that happens.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Meanwhile, is there a way to turn my heat back on?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Yes.

But you would need to remove the furnace doors and locate the fuse on the circuit board in the bottom section..make sure not in ac graphic

Replace this fuse and you will be back in business.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's beyond my skills unfortunately and also I don't have a spare fuse anyway. I guess I will just haveto get someone here tomorrow to fix it.

thanks anyway