Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

I have a goodman GPG13300701AA gas pack that will not heat.

Customer Question

I have a goodman GPG13300701AA gas pack that will not heat. I recently replaced the thermostat in my house and it was working fine, then we got a sudden heat wave, I turned the thermostat to AC and was also working fine. When the heat wave left, the heat was turned back on and we get air from the vents but no heat. I am also concerned because during the heat wave I went outside to pressure wash the house and did spray portions of the outside of the unit off. I don't believe there is a pilot light that i could have put out and am concerned that other components may have been damaged. Due to the nature of the problem, I don't know if something happened with the thermostat wiring going from AC back to heat or if I possibly damaged the unit while spraying the house. Any advice would be good I am a technician but have never worked on HVAC any help would be great before I have to pay someone to come fix it. Thank you!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello.Sorry you are having problems. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Please wait to leave rating until we are finished.Are you able to do hands on trouble shooting? If so, open the service panel to the unit, Locaate the control board and with a pair of needle nose pliers or a jumper, jump the C terminal to the W terminal and see if heat will come on. If so we will know the issue is in control wiring or thermostat.If not, you should get a flashing LEd on the control board in the unit telling us what to check next. We will go from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try that but do I need to cut the power from the breaker before accessing the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also hello Tim sorry I was in a conversation, I can do hands on troubleshooting I have the parts manual pulled up and can attempt Somme troubleshooting but I do not have any wiring at the house to jump with and have not yet opened the unit to see how difficult it will be
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
You can use a pair of needle nose pliers or simialr to jump the C and W terminals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, okay so I jumped the W terminal to the RC terminal in the thermostat, I'm not sure if this what you were taking about and I do not have a C as an option. The heat is not back on and looking at the terminal board in the HVAC unit the LED is flashing. I do not see anywhere to jump in the HVAC unit itself.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I am referring to jumping it at the actual unit itself. There you should hace a C(Blue wire) and W (white wire). By the way, what is the flash code you are getting? How many flashes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Constant flash and like I say I guess I don't see where to jump it there is a large capacitor then above it a circuit card and then two separate terminal housings above that
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Locate the control wires in the unit .coming from the thermostat. The W(white) and C(Blue) is the wires we want to out together ot jump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you find and we will go from here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Okay the circuit card outside and the thermostat inside both only have R Y W G and blue is unused so not sure where to jump to
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Diagram shows the common from transfomer as being BLUE. Locate the transformer and you will find 2 low voltage wires. One is Common and the other goes to R at thermostat.That is the common I am referring to.

Common goes directly to each component( fan relay, heat relay, compressor contactor). The the wire that goes to R at the thermostat is considerd 24v hot.When thermostat calls for FAN, the circuit is closed sending 24 volts to fan relay. When thermostat calls for cool, the circuit is closed to the compressor contactor and when thermostat calls for heat, circuit is closed going to the heat realy or gas valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright sorry for the confusion I still cannot locate the wires you are discussing but if this helps I had the power cut to the unit And when power was reapplied the gas and fan come on the LED is solid and stays on for about a minute and then kicks off.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
When it cus off, count the number of flashes on the lED light and tell me how many flashes when it cuts off. That should change from the constant staedy to a something like 3 flash pause, etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like maybe two but it goes two pretty fast and a little pause 3 times then just steady
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
2 bilnks indicates an open pressure switch. I would check the hose from the combustion motor to the pressure switch.Maybe remove the hose, blow through it , clean it out and clean the bardbed fittings with an open paper clip. Let me knowif that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I feel really bad Tim because I'm not too sure about getting inside the rest of the unit and I may end up calling someone is there anyway you could give me an idea of how much average trouble calls will cost me.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Usually these type calls run a minimum.Not sure where you are located. Here is Alabama service calls ususally less tha 100 bucks plus if it needs a part then cost of part added. In some areas such as California or larger metrpoloitan areas, service call may be as high as 200 plus the part.Hope that is some help.Pressure switch runs about 40 bucks, If a cracked hose, Hose is only a few dollars.and if hose just stppoed up, no parts involved. Worst case scenario would be the board or combustion motor which could run as much as 400 bucks.
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tim hope you have a nice day
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me to work with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim thank you also, and since I still have your attention one last question, I had a technician come out and he said that it is the spark ignighter becausse the gas is coming on and tryin to spark but will not, and due to safety lockout the gas stops. But the gas valve is good according to him. He said the ignighter and is located on the board itself and the board will need to be replaced, this is something I can handle myself but just wanted to know if this sounds accurate to you. Thank you again for all of your help.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If tech has checked it ,yes.If the board is not sending a signal to the spark igniter(I suspect that he verified that).

The board is simple to replace and can be oredered online or purchased locally. I do suggest you replace one wire at a time when replacing board to prevent any wires from getting crossed on new board and of course do it with all power OFF

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tim I appreciate all of your help and hope you have a wonderful day.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.