Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

I am in process of purchasing a house and they had an HVAC

I am in process of purchasing a house and they had an HVAC inspection performed prior to putting it on the market. The invoice they provided states that the "contactor is blackening starting to arch" and also that "the fan is running over max amps of 1.5, running at 1.8"

The furnace is a 2004 Armstrong.

I do not know much about furnaces, are these issues I should be worried about?

I will be glad to help you with your question today.

The inspector probably meant the the contactor points were "arcing"

This would cause them to turn black from over heating. The contactor should be replaced as a preventative action. The fan motor is drawing more electricity that what is shown on the rating plate. Again, this is a indication that it may be starting to wear out. You did not state how old the unit was, but as in mechanical devices, things where out and have to be replaced. Neither of these would necessarily mean it would fail in a unusally short time. But the inspector is just doing his job bringing it to your attention. The contactor is a easy replacement. The motor is a little more involved and would require the services of the technician. If you are concerned about it, have the owner replace the parts before you purchase the home.

I hope this a made things a little more understandable for you.

If you have additional questions feel free to continue this chat for as long as you like.

It is my intention to solve your problem with an honest, and helpful answer. My goal is for a rating of Excellent Service

If my answer has been of help, may I please ask you for a positive rating for JA today?

Thanks and have a great day

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would you consider either of these issues a safety hazard?

no, just a future repair bill and maybe a hot evening if it breaks at a bad time ;)