Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Whats the rule of thumb for cost estimating a new construction

Whats the rule of thumb for cost estimating a new construction HVAC system / What should an HVAC system consisting of 3 Units x 13Seer[5 ton] split into 6 zones cost in a 3 story 5500 sq ft home (each floor is split into 2 zones)
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello.Sorry you are having problems. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Please wait to leave rating until we are finished.Where are you located geographically? Cost vary tremendously nationwide.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

New Jersey

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Please explain the 3 units, 5 ton? I am sure there is not 3 five ton systems for 5500 sq feet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3 units, 5 tons each, and 3 furnaces 100k btu each. York. Is 3 x 5 ton too little or too much you mean?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
If you have a lot of glass, high ceilings, poor insulation or commercial, you might need this much.But in most residential structures, an average would be around 7 to 8 tons total for the entire 5500 sq ft. Of course the only accurate way for sizing is to run a load calculation on the structure. Has this been done and determined you need 15 tons of a/c?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it needs 15 tons. Its on the ocean and most of the eastern side of the home is glass to maximize the views. The ceilings on the top floor are also very high.

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok, as a rule of thumb you can figure about 1600 to 1800 per ton with the zone systems.So 8000 to 9000 per system. 3 systems would be in the 24,000 to 27,000 price range.

With this said, I would get at least three estimates as contractors prices vary depending on their individual operating costs and mark up. Also, Brand will make a difference. For example Goodman may be several thousand dollars less expensive than a Lennox or Trane on this job

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I have an estimate from one guy of $65,000, he's saying because of it being split into 6 zones the duct work is double/etc. But for a 13 seer system, even all the extra ductwork/tray ceilings/etc it shouldnt be anywhere near that price right?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I do not think it should be near that expensive.I definitely would get more estimates.
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.