Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Majestic RHEDV32 RFN gas fireplace. After the off

I have a Majestic RHEDV32 RFN gas fireplace. After the off season where the fireplace was not in use, I have not been able to restart the fireplace. The pilot ignites but will not stay lit after it has been burning for a few minutes. Does the pilot gas sensor need to be replaced?

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome, I will do my best to help you with your issue

Does the pilot go out when you release the pilot lighting button on the gas valve?

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

Then the first thing we would do is replace the thermocouple or thermopile

Customer:

would cleaning the pilot make a difference?

Rickheatdoc :

No difference. The thermo is what tell the gas valve that a pilot is present. When it heats up it generates a small current that holds the pilot valve open when you release the button

Customer:

Is the thermo sensor peculiar to my Majestic fireplace? Can I get a replacement from a local fireplace store?

Rickheatdoc :

Thermocouples or thermopiles are pretty generic. A thermocouple has a bare copper lead, a thermopile has 2 leads wrapped in an "armored" cable. If you want to be sure remove the old one and bring it with you when you go for a replacement

Rickheatdoc :

One tip

Rickheatdoc :

Only the top 1/3 of a thermocouple should be in the pilot flame

Rickheatdoc :

so when you replace it be sure it's not to far into the flame, same goes for a thermopile

Customer:

OK -- Thanks