airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Lennox Elite Series Elect. Heater CB29M-31-1P model decided

Lennox Elite Series Elect. Heater CB29M-31-1P model decided to quit heating, is the relay the common problem or the thermostat transformer?
Hello.Sorry you are having problems. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Please wait to leave rating until we are finished.Does blower or anything come on? Do you have a voltmeter for troubleshooting and can you do some hands on>?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Blower works fine and I do have a voltmeter and can do hands on

OK great. Now since blower comes on we know the transformer is good. Lets do this, just to eliminate thermostat. Remove tstat wires and jump or twist the R and W wire together to see if elements will come on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The difficult part here Tim is that the heat seem to come on intermittently and blogs I have read feel that the relay is a common problem with this particular unit series.

OK, If it is intermittent, this is probably be going to be the sequencer sticking.Some vary in appearance but generally look like this.graphicIf sequencer sticks shut, the elements stay on constantly and if they stick open, no element comes on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the sequencer the same thing as the relay and where are they located and what do I do to solve the problem?

From looking at the manual it shows the sequencer AS a heat relay.. To identify it, there should be a low voltage wire coming from common on transformer to one side of the Coil on the relay (H). The your white wire from thermostat should be going to the other side of coil on relay (H). Then coming from breaker should be a power wire to M1 and a wire to the element to M2. a power wire from breaker to M3 and then wire to second element to M4/ If more than 10kw heat installed,same scenario for each strip/Power wire to M3/M5 and element wires to M4/M6. Once youy locate it, get the part number from relay and Google to find online or take to local parts store .Turn power off to replace relay of course.