Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a honeywell Focus Pro TH5000 Series thermostat . The

Customer Question

I have a honeywell Focus Pro TH5000 Series thermostat . The fan continues to blow after it reaches the desired temperature. If we reduce the temoerature setting by 2 degrees the fan will cut out but the problem persists when it reaches the new setting. We have replaced the batteries. We have a Goodman heat pump.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Hello.Sorry you are having problems. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Please wait to leave rating until we are finished.

Are you having this issue in heat mode, cool mode or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In heat mode.Not sure about coolmode as haven't used it i awhile. I don't recall a problem until sometime after we switched to heat.

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK, so lets say you set thermostat to 74 degrees. I understand the temp is reached but then fan keeps blowing.Is this correct? And if so, if you do not mess with thermostat will it eventually stop blowing ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the fan keeps blowing and continues unless we reduce the setting. Sometimes it will quiet down a little for a few minutes but doesn;t cut out.

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK, I want to make sure I understand. Now we are at 74. unit runs and temp is reached,Blower keeps running.Then we drop number down to say 72 and blower goes off. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now everything has gone off and house cools down to say 70 which brings the unit back on.It heats until reaches the 72 and blower seems to never turn off again unless we lower thermostat again.Correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just a few more questions so I know we are on same page here.Which model thermostat do you in the 5000 series? There are several (5110.5220,5320 etc). And is this a thermostat has been operating fine for some period of time, just started doing this, or have you just installed this thermostat? Sorry for all the questions, but this is a step by step process to get to your answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TH5220

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Is this a thermostat has been operating fine for some period of time, just started doing this, or have you just installed this thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We've had the thermostat for about 4 oe 5 yearsNo problem until recently

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Can you go into the installer setup and check a few settings to make sure they are all correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid not. Wouldn't know where to start

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am just wondering if one of the settings could have been changed or memory lost at some point. One particular setting is the Function 3 (which controls fan) or function 7 and 8 which controls the heat cycle rate. If you would like to check those, here is a copy of the manual and instructions start on page 6

http://s3.pexsupply.com/product_files/TH5220D1003-Install.pdf

If you need assistance, I will follow long with you to check them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I printed pages 6 and 7 and will see if my hisband can figure it out. I can get back to you if there is a problem. Might have to finish by phone as thermostat is not near computer.

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Let me know. We have to work online though.JA will not allow us to communicate by phone or email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The display says Function 1and setting 5. What should they be?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Function 1=5

Function 2=0

Function 3=1

Function 5=9

Function 6=9

Function 7=9

Function 8=9

Function 9=3

Function 10=3

The rest wont effect operation as they are preferences.Also if you don't see one of the functions listed, that is ok too (thermostat recognizes needed functions per other settings chosen)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand. Is the 1 and 5 setting correct or should I try another combination. If so, which one

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Function 1 should have the option 5 selected, then scroll down to next function which is function 2, there you want to make sure 0 option is selected, then scroll down to Function 3 and make sure Option 1 is selected , etc.

Press Up or down arrows to change settings.Press NEXT to advance to the next function.Press DONE to exit and save settings

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The following functions displayed 1-5, 2-0,6-9,8-9 -3 . #'s 3,4,5,7 and 10 did not come up, It then jumped to 12 and14. What next?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Seems all of those are correct.Your thermostat may have taken a power spike or something which is allowing fan to be called for after cycle has reached temp. I would first suspect you have a relay sticking in air handler, but if that were the case ,lowering thermostat 2 degrees would not cause it to unstick. I am going to open to other experts who might have more ideas. Please wait to leave rating until you have received a satisfactory answer.Thanks for allowing me to work with you. Other experts can see what we have covered thus far and perhaps have more ideas to add.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll see what happens when it starts up tinite. I'm going to close now so Email me if you have any other ideas. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Will do, Thanks again. We will see if any other experts have ideas too.