Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

I have a Trane twe040e13fb0 heat pump that blows cold air instead

I have a Trane twe040e13fb0 heat pump that blows cold air instead of heat.

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

Is your outdoor unit running? If yes then go to the unit and feel the big copper line with the black insulation around it and tell me if this line is hot to the touch.

Customer:

Yes, the outdoor unit is running. The line is warm, as is the small copper piping that runs adjacent to it.

Matthew :

That line should be too hot to hold on to so if it is just "warm" then chances are your system is low on refrigerant.

Matthew :

The electric strips in the air handler should come on and produce heat though so if you still do not get heat once the thermostat has initiated the back up aux heat then there could be a problem with your strips as well.

Customer:

Well, I had just turned the unit on a few minutes earlier, so it may not have had time to heat up... we had thr refrigerant recharged last summer so I don't think thats it... I'll check it again and let you know. inside the unit the PC board has 2 solid red lights on and a slow steady blinking green light. With the cover off of the inside unit and the unit running I can feel some heat starting to generate when I put my hands over the coils, but then it stops heating and just throws cool air.

Customer:

OK, so after running for about 10 minutes the outside line is now "hot" to the touch...

Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience: 14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
Do you still newed asistance. James
Hi just wanted to add many heat pumps will have an outdoor thermostat precluding 2nd stage heat operation unless a 40F ambient is read, just thought I would add this tid bit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hmnnn... the weather was fairly cold outside last night, if that's where the temp was being read from.

How is it working now. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The blower is fine, but the heat output just doesn't seem to be consistent. Sometimes we can feel heat blowing out, and other times it's definitely cooler/lukewarm air being blown.

There may be a problem in the outside unit. Inconsitent heat could be several things a low charge,bad TXV(metering device) in the outside in outside unt. Take a temperature reading at cpseat supply grille and return air grille. Should be a temperature difference of 20 to 25 degrees. Let me know reading. Russ