Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

control board of lennox furnace

3A fuse in control board of lennox 80uhg3-75a-2 keeps blowing when I connect t stat wires or jumper 'r' and 'w'...lv wires are ccurrently disconnected in control box  and no action in the furnace

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

I see someone else jumped in at some point there.

Did the fuse blow as soon as you connected it, or did it have a period of time before it blew?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was talking to you yesterday. if turn off power, then connect lv wires and turn on power, its almost instantly popping. also, as soon as jumper it pops

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok... this is somewhat difficult to tackle. If you look on the control board there should be a large molex connector with maybe 9-12 wires on it. With the jumper you have from R-W in place, power off, new fuse and that harness unplugged from the board, when you power it up, will it blow the fuse again? (this may help us determine if the short is in the board itself or in one of the external circuits leading to the limits etc).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

fuse did noot blow

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok you said you have an old meter, does it have an ohms setting (omega sign) and if so, put it there and touch the leads of the meter together, the needle shoud swing to the other side. ( we need to know the meter works).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it works

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
great, with the furnace power OFF, do you know where the main limit is? Its usually a 1.5" x 2" fiber card with two wires going to it, mounted on the fire wall.

With your meter set to ohms, place one lead on one of the terminals of the main limit and the other to ground. no need to remove wires. It shouldnt have any continuity to ground, in other words the meter shouldnt register anything. If it does, we are closing in on the short. You can leave the molex disconnected for this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

definate continuity to ground on that limit

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now pull the wires off the limit and check it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wired off and still grouunded at that limit

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Both wires off?

Ok... now, there are probably two screws that hold that in, pull the limit out and first check the hole to see if ther is any foil back insulation that may be touching the limit rods or something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it looks to be cut neatly and out of the way

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
any chance the limit was in crooked or touching the back to the metal cut out? With the wires off, touching one terminal and ground, you had continuity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was upside down...I turned it around and now it isn't grounded anymore

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Argghhh.. go ahead and put it all back, leave the jumper in place and try it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

harness in or out?

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
in, lets try the furnace with the jumper first and if all is good, pull the jumper out and reconnect the thermostat wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok didn't pop the fuse...combustion blower started but then shut off and got the fast alternating led's

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok... I have to find that manual again...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it says its either main ground improper, under voltage, or broken ignitor/ open ignitor circuit

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Whats the resistance of the ignitor? Unplug it and check with your ohm meter, it cant be over like 19 ohms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

stupid analog...looks to be sitting right around 20

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok switch it to Volts AC and measure from the Neutral line (white wire on power line) to ground and see if it registers any voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no voltage from neutral to ground...when check this ignitor again, the needle doesn't even seem to move. maybe its pooched

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
could be, but its odd it read before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not used to aanalog...it rests at about the 20 ohm mark...don't think it actually read before

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
I like analog, but digital is easier. I like the ability to pick up something quick, the digitals buffer and one can miss a blip.

Anyway. Can you pick up an ignitor tomorrow?

IF nothing else, I think we took care of the fuse blowing problem. it took a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should be able to...I think a new ignitor might be the answer...thanks so much douglas!h

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know if I can be of any additional help
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE