Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

Armstrong Ultra SX 90 High efficiency gas furnace with Ametek

Customer Question

Armstrong Ultra SX 90 High efficiency gas furnace with Ametek Circulating Pump, Model No.(NNN) NNN-NNNN2. The Ametek Pump is collecting water, please advise.

Thanks,

Stanley
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

There is a secondary float in the pump that when activated turns off the furnace. This is too prevent water damage in case of failure of the pump. In your case the pump is not working or does not have power...and once filled it raises the safety float and cuts power.

These pumps are generally not repairable. If it has power but does not work it will need to be replaced.

Make sure it has power first.

Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The circulating pump does not have any floats.

Thanks,

Stanley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Ametek Circulating pump does not have any floats. My question was to find out why it collects water?

Thanks,

Stanley
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

Stanley, are you asking, for my own clarification, where the water comes from in the furnace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug, if I am not mistaken, the water comes from the condensate of the Ametek Windjammer Circulating blower. I was asking why the water accumulates in the Ametek Windjammer circulating blower instead of draining out. The drainage is not clogged. If you need I can send a picture of the furnace layout with the furnace cover opened. By the way after I drained the water from the circulating blower, the furnace seems to be working OK. Just need to figure out the water problem.

Thanks,

Stanley

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
the flue gasses condense to form the water. The furnace and the housing are under a negative pressure so when its running, it wont drain, unless its piped exactly as it should be with the plastic trap in place. If you remove a hose, it will just sit there and gurgle until the motor shuts off, then in all comes out with a vengence.

Can you post the picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug:

I did not pull any hose or pipe from the system. I just removed the Ametek Windjammer blower and empty the water accumulated in the Blower and put it back. Once the blower is clear of water, the furnace is working again as normal. I just like to find out a solution how to prevent this type of problem in the future. I will try to post a picture of the furnace, please let me know how to send a picture to you.

Thanks,

Stanley

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
You can email it XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and provide this URL along with HVAC_Doug in the email and they will forward it to me, they dont allow me to interact outside of the site.
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
I have your picture, thanks.

The first things that come to mind are the y fitting above the inducer that collects condensation running back down the flue may be full of sludge and water may be backing up and flowing back into the inducer. The second thing is, many of those secondary heat exchanger collector boxes can fill with stuff, raising the water high enough to go into the inducer. This is the box behind the inducer and lastly, on those units, if the exterior drain gets plugged, it can back up into the collector box..lastly, the trap assembly can have crud in it too causing a back up.

I would start by verifying the drain is clear before ripping into the rest. If the trap is plugged it should be replaced as its hard to clean out. Then I would look at the y and finally, the collector box

Let me know what we need to do next
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug:

Thanks for the info. i checked the drain, it is not clogged. Next I will try to look at the Y and lastly the collector box. The system seems to be working OK after I empty the water in the inducer. I will keep an eye on the system tonight and continue work on it tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Stanley

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for keeping me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug:

Up till now the heater works OK through the night and this morning. Is it normal there are some water in the diffusing circulating pump housing.

Thanks,

Stanley

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Oh, there will be a small amount, but nothing significant because that old armstrong design didnt address it, it really just blew it up the vent and the majority ended up in that Y. Of course when it fills, thats another story and the question becomes why which is why we want to check to see if the Y fitting is full of junk, or the collector box is full of stuff.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug:

Thanks. I think I have a pretty good understanding how the system works. I will keep an eye on the operations of the system and I will let you know if I need further assistance.

Stanley

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. keep me posted