Comfort Specialist
Comfort Specialist, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Master Lic. holder for HVAC & Gas, Contractor, Estimator, Designer, Air Balance Certified, LG Master Commissioner, UNC Cert. holder for Industrial Ventilation
66600370

bryant gas furnace will not ignite after power outage

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome, I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rickheatdoc :

Please remember that your deposit is not used to compensate me for my time until you rate my service. When you’re asked to give me a rating you’re rating my service not this website or your equipment.

Rickheatdoc :

The first thing to do is to try a reset. Turn the power switch on the side of the furnace off, wait a minute or so then turn it back on and tell me what happens.

Customer:

I did it already several times - nothing happens

Rickheatdoc :

Also when you "checked the fuse" which fuse did you check?

Customer:

fuse that is same as auto fuse, I think 3

Customer:

3 amp

Rickheatdoc :

Have you flipped the breaker in the electrical panel off then on again?

Customer:

I did it once

Customer:

all of them one by one

Rickheatdoc :

Ok, I'm going to need a model number for your furnace

Customer:

The red light that is on circuit is on - does it mean that electrical part is ok?

Customer:

PG8UAA048111

Rickheatdoc :

If you see a lit LED then the unit has power

Customer:

ok

Rickheatdoc :

Hang on a minute while I look up the spec for your unit

Customer:

sure

Rickheatdoc :

Is the LED bliking?

Rickheatdoc :

sorry for the typo> is the LED blinking

Customer:

no, it stays

Customer:

Also there is no clicking sound that should be when furnace trying to ignite

Rickheatdoc :

do you have a multi-meter?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

what should I check?

Rickheatdoc :

Hang on, checking something

Rickheatdoc :

Are you sure you have a PG8U not a PG8J? You mention a clicking noise and my spec shows no pilot only hot surface ignition.

Rickheatdoc :

I have no spec for a PG8U

Customer:

Let me recheck

Customer:

It is PG8U and also label says: this device has no pilot and equipped with ignition device

Rickheatdoc :

Ok your clicking description sounded like a pilot burner electrode

Rickheatdoc :

Is the blower acess panel in place?

Customer:

There is no clicking noise and I think it was earlier when furnace was operated normally

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

Ok the should be a switch on the blower with a red lead remove the red lead and wait for the LED to go out then reconnect it and tell me what the blinking LED sequence is

Rickheatdoc :

sorry I meant to say on the draft induction fan not the main blower

Rickheatdoc :

keep the blower door in place

Customer:

Could you please give me more description or link to picture to understand where it is located

Customer:

Is it upper door?

Rickheatdoc :

do you mean the draft fan?

Customer:

where I should look for the led

Rickheatdoc :

The LED is on the circuit board

Rickheatdoc :

the exhaust vent starts at the draft fan

Customer:

same that is currently is on when door is closed?

Rickheatdoc :

yes there's only one

Customer:

I should remove it and put it back?

Rickheatdoc :

there is no viewing port?

Rickheatdoc :

you should be able to see it with the blower door in place

Customer:

I mean what should I do to make this test?

Customer:

There is a small round window to see Led

Customer:

Remove red wire?

Rickheatdoc :

There is a safety switch on the on the draft fan. You want to remove the red lead until the LED goes out then reconnect it and tell me the blinking sequence

Customer:

draft fan is behind upper door, correctz?

Rickheatdoc :

Yes. I have to leave and I don't want to leave you hanging so I'm going to opt out and open this question back up for my colleagues to help you. One should pick up your question shortly

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I have found a page with “bad starting capacitor” and looks like it’s my case.

Here is the link:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t2796330-blower_motor_stopped

After turned on for 2 hours, blower fan started for the first time and stopped. After about 10 attempts it’s finally started and not stopped and furnace currently working.

Hello there! I'm Norman but you can call me Norm. I see that Rick has stepped away for some time and has also opted out. I was wondering if you would like a bit more help with your intermittent issue? I'm thinking I may be able to help shed more light on the subject and help determine if a fan capacitor may be your issue.

Please let me know if I can be of service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have already resolved this issue and here is the info: I have found a page with “bad starting capacitor” and looks like it’s my case.

Here is the link:

Yeah, you can usually eliminate the other furnace components by watching the furnace fire up. You can remove the door and set the thermostat for heat with the temperature set up higher than the room temp. At that point go to the furnace and sit in front of it while holding in the door switch (button). You will see the furnace try to fire. If it ignites and then shuts down after a minute or so it pretty much eliminates a few of the major components and narrows it down. One good way to visually inspect a bad fan capacitor is by looking at the top cap where the two terminals are and the wires connect. In some cases the top cap will swell and cause the cap to bulge upwards. A standard fan capacitor can be as cheap at around 5-10 dollars depending on size and can be purchased at any hvac supply house. Brand does not matter, just be sure you buy the exact size replacement and voltage. You can power the furnace down completely at the electrical panel and disconnect and use a screwdriver to bridge the two capacitor terminals while holding the insulated handle of the screwdriver. This will discharge any electricity stored in the capacitor and make for safe removal. You can then take the capacitor to a supply house for testing or replacement. The supply house will have to use a special capacitance tester to tell if it is within range. If the capacitor test good you will want to get back into the furnace and go further with diagnostics. I can also help with that as long as you own or borrow a volt-meter.

Also, if you are not in a hurry and the current capacitor seems to be holding up you can also purchase one online. If you need help doing so and you can wait let me know and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.
It may help for you to have a copy of the actual furnace SERVICE GUIDE. It's not just some manual. It has valuable information that may help you if this problem returns. I have pasted the link to the guide below. Simply copy and paste it into your browser address bar then save a copy to your computer for future reference.

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/sg-pg8d-04.pdf
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not in a hurry. Could you please point me where I can buy capacitor for my furnace online?

Sure thing. Your furnace blower takes a 10mfd @ 370v capacitor. I have pasted the address below to a $5.99 replacement with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Capacitor-10-MFD-370V/dp/B0002YTKAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351904992&sr=8-2&keywords=10+mfd+370

Can't beat such a good deal!
Comfort Specialist, HVAC Technician
Experience: Master Lic. holder for HVAC & Gas, Contractor, Estimator, Designer, Air Balance Certified, LG Master Commissioner, UNC Cert. holder for Industrial Ventilation
If you find that your questions are answered and you are completely satisfied with my help, please rate your experience 3 or higher so that I am credited with providing you Excellent customer service. Ratings lower than 3 are negative. I'm very glad I could help you! If you ever need help in the future please bookmark my personal link and visit me again. I'd be glad to help. http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-its-norm/