Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Good Morning,I have an older Toyostove Laser 72 kerosene

Good Morning,

I have an older Toyostove Laser 72 kerosene fueled space heater. The problem I'm having with it, is that when I turn it on, the stove fires up on low for about 5 minutes, then kicks into the high cycle, burns for about 2 minutes, and then kicks into the reset mode. I've recycled it numerous times, and it does the same thing. I've cleaned the fuel system, the fuel pump and all the blowers seem to be working okay, so I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks Dan O.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU NEED, I come and go. This is step ONE.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer!

In the event that you do not have the manual I will post a link to this one. Tell me if it matches your heater or not please.

We can go from there

http://www.toyotomiusa.com/products/manuals/Laser%2072%20%28Type%20E,%20F,%20G%29.pdf

Thanks,

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Phil,

I don't have a manual, and I'm not sure if you are describing the owners manual that comes with a new heater.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I am must pulling up the manual that toyo posts on line when you type in the data you posted.

Such material can be impossible to get on many older appliances, especially those built before the internet was established for storage of such things

On your end, you can see your heater, If it is a close match then we might be able to use the manual data,

If not we are out of luck as far as a manual goes. Just click on the link I left, and look at the manual itself, and see if it matches what you have,'

Here it is again

Just click on the link. tell me if looks like your unit

We can go from there. You are not asked to accept or rate my assistance unless we resolve this issue

Phil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Phil

This looks like it probably is the manual for my heater, but there is nothing in these manuals, other than basic troubleshooting tips. You need to have repaired them to diagnose more difficult problems. There are no error codes for these older heaters. Have you ever tore into any Toyo heaters.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I have not repaired that model. I have been in the business for 51 years so far and have done tens of thousands of projects, but have not worked on more than a tiny fraction of one percent of whats on the market.

I can use the manuals in many of those cases to help a customer... in other cases i cannot, Your viewpoint is largely accurate in my view;

However depending on whats wrong and using my engineering background and insights i can often help a customer solve the problem.

Unless i am successful in that I do not ask for compensation,

I will opt out now so that your question goes back on the board and perhaps another of our many experts here has worked on that model with that same problem

Good luck with it.

Phil

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay Phil,

I have 9 of these Toyo heater's in my rentals, so I know the basic troubleshooting procedures, but I need someone who repairs these stoves for a living to point me in the right direction. Do you have anyone in Alaska where there are many of these heaters in use on your help roster.

Dan O.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan, we have a lot of talent here, including people who have worked on that type of stove. I don't think we have anyone from Alaska though as far as I can tell..

It is most likely a problem that will resolve with replacement of the control module or one of its primary sensors judging by repeating time frames... and knowing that the Achilles heel in these appliances is the electronics pervasively.... I would say that I am in the 90% accurate range on that assessment, but not 100%.

Let me know what you think, we can go from there if you wish,

Phil

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Phil,

The problem ended up being basically a build up of soot and deposits in the fuel line and firepot. The circuit board and control module seem to be doing there job.

Dan O.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the feed back Dan!

Thats a new one on me. You had mentioned that you had cleaned the fuel system earlier, but had not mentioned the fire pot. I learn something new every day. Lets hope that works.

Phil