Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I need to turn off the hot water from the Amtrol Boiler mate.

Customer Question

I need to turn off the hot water from the Amtrol Boiler mate. Model WH-7P. Which shut off will stop the hot water from going into the house?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome, I will do my best to help you with your issue

Customer:

thanks.

Rickheatdoc :

Every Boiler mate is piped a little differently. So you need to find the shut of on the cold water line that feeds the tank

Customer:

Ok. I know where that is.

Rickheatdoc :

It's probably the only pipe with a shut off that connects to the tank

Customer:

There are many shut offs all over the plumbing in that set up. The plumber was a little nuts when the house was built.

Rickheatdoc :

The only other lines that connect to the Boilermate that might have shut offs are the circulating lines between the boiler and the tank

Rickheatdoc :

I suppose it's possible that there's also a shut off on the hot water out of the tank but that would be very unusual

Customer:

Ok. So if I turn off the main supply of cold water from the street, I can then drain the line going to the bathroom sink? We are in the middle if changing the copper pipe to fit a new vanity.

Rickheatdoc :

If you shut of the main shut off from the street then that will shut off all the water to the house

Rickheatdoc :

If you want to just kill the hot water you shut off the valve on the cold water line into the tank

Customer:

will that prevent hot water from leaving the hot water tank?

Rickheatdoc :

Yes but you'll have to open a hot water faucet (just hot) and let the pressure dissipate in order to stop the water from coming out of the tank

Rickheatdoc :

If you're working on a hot water pipe then it's best to open a hot water (only) faucet that's at a lower level than the pipe you're working on

Customer:

Ok. Then I should run the kitchen hot water to drain the line. Once it stops I can cut the pipe? Correct?

Customer:

unfortunately all the water is on the same floor of the house.

Rickheatdoc :

Yes, but since it's all on the same floor be prepared to catch some water (not a whole lot) when you cut the pipe

Customer:

fair enough. I will have towels ready.

Rickheatdoc :

You might want to have a bucket handy to catch the water, but towels may be enough

Customer:

buckets are good too.

Rickheatdoc :

anything else I can do for you related to this issue?

Customer:

no. that's it. Thank you.

Rickheatdoc :

You're welcome

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.