Tom
Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial

My amana 90 furnace is not working, I tried turning it on and

Customer Question

My amana 90 furnace is not working, I tried turning it on and it sounds like it wants to start but just cant do it. Where should I start?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Tom :

Hi...Tom here..Sorry you're having trouble.

Tom :

I'll do my best to help and opt out if I cannot.

Tom :

What does it do on a call for heat? And have you checked the control board to see if it's giving you a fault code?

Tom :

Specifically........does the exhaust blower start? Then (assuming hot surface ignition) does the ignitor glow?

Customer:

I am not going to lie to you tom im not exactly a professional and no nothing about furnaces so here goes nothing. Im not sure what fan it is on my thermostat i have an auto and on on my fan switch when i turn it to on it works and blows air.

Tom :

Ok...fair enough! If you were a professional furnace guy you wouldn't be here...

Tom :

The fan 'on' switch on your furnace is for the 'main blower'... the one that moves air through the furnace to your ducts.

Tom :

Leave it on auto for now.

Tom :

Is your furnace in the basement / attic?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

basement

Tom :

Ok......now if you go down there and remove the top service cover....you'll see a small blower unit attached to the exhaust pipe. A 90% will have plastic exhaust...on a call for heat the first thing that has to happen is the exhaust blower has to start...check that first.

Tom :

If it's in 'lockout' you'll need to cycle the power off then on to reset...you might as well do that just in case.

Tom :

Generally they'll try to light 3 times and if they don't the control board goes into lockout requiring reset.

Customer:

k so turn the power off and try a reset?

Tom :

Yes..sorry for the delay...

Tom :

Any luck?

Customer:

no i cant get it to do anything now

Tom :

Do you have only the top service panel off or do you have the lower one off as well?

Customer:

just the top, ok i did a reset and when i turned the power back on an orange light started to glow.. and then it tried to go and now nothing

Tom :

Ok the orange glow is the ignitor...

Customer:

the exhaust fan is going

Tom :

After that it will delay for a couple of minutes and retry...after 3 it locks out.

Tom :

Is this the first time you've tried the heat this fall?

Customer:

yes and its on its third attempt

Tom :

ok..it will lock out after that. This may sound dumb.......has the gas been turned off to the furnace for any reason?

Tom :

Check the gas shut off valve near the furnace.

Customer:

i looked at that i believe it is on the hose is running vertical and the lever is also up and down with the hose

Tom :

OK good......

Tom :

Now locate the gas valve....may look similar..but not exactly like the one in the pic

Tom :

It will have the gas pipe and a couple of wires attached.

Tom :

Reset the power.........let it try to start again....when the ignitor has warmed up for a few seconds..you should hear the valve click if it opens to let gas in the furnace3

Tom :

furnace.

Tom :

See if it clicks and let me know.

Customer:

got it and yes it clicked

Tom :

but absolutely no flame?

Tom :

Or does it light and go right out?

Customer:

i cant see a flame the ignitor turns bright orange and then goes out and it tries three times and shuts down

Tom :

Ok....take a look at the gas valve....it should have either a knob to turn it on/off or possibly a little switch....make sure it's on.

Customer:

its on

Tom :

Ok...thanks for checking that. You never know.

Customer:

should i turn it off then on

Tom :

No..on is good.

Tom :

Ok..from my end...it sounds like the gas valve may be defective. If your gas is on...and the valve clicks.......it should light.

Tom :

The only other thing...and it's a little hard since I'm not there.....is if the air pressure switch is opening during the ignition cycle and making it start over.

Customer:

so i have to call the professionals not type to them ha

Tom :

possibly! You're doing great though!

Tom :

Is there a small window in the lower panel to see the control board light?

Tom :

IF not...you may have to remove the lower panel to get a look at it. There will be a door switch you'll have to hold down to power it back up. Try that and see if you get a fault code. There should be a light on the control board that will flash a series of flashes for different faults.

Tom :

It's probably going to be a single flash indicating excessive tries for ignition..but just thought I'd check.

Customer:

k there is not light on down there i opened the lower one and held the switch.. but when i did a reset there was flames for a brief moment on the first start up after that nothing on the second and third

Tom :

Ok....very good. I would try this ....last test....... Get a tool...wrench...pliers..small hammer....etc..try lighting it.......when it clicks.. tap on the valve ...anywhere you can get the tool on it......don't beat it..but firm taps....see if it lights.....sounds like the valve is sticking.

Customer:

now i cant get a flame again sounds like i better call in the big guns

Tom :

Yeah...sorry it wasn't something simple....you did great.....and we eliminated all of the obvious stuff. You never know.......often times it's something simple.

Tom :

I'm guessing a defective gas valve though.

Tom :

Anything else I can do for you tonite?

Customer:

i appreciate your help how do i pay you for your time

Tom :

The problem is easily verified by hooking up a gas pressure gauge.

Tom :

Something service guys will carry.

Tom :

By rating my answer (as long as you don't rate it poor....) I'll receive credit for assisting.

Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience: 16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial