Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty

I have a bradford white hot water heater model MITW50l6ln10.

I have a bradford white hot water heater model MITW50l6ln10. The pilot light will not light. I have tried following the instructions to light it exactly as printed on the outside of the tank but no luck. I have also tried holding a flame directly in front of the gas line for the pilot light and no luck.

The heater is weird in that it does not appear to have a thermocoupling. Instead there is a blue wire that connects to a little metal tip about 1/2 inch long and sits in front of the gas line.
I will look up your model and get right back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, I will be waiting online

This looks to be a direct vent power vent gas water heater. These generally have electronic ignition which is automatic. There is a sequence of things that need to happen before the burner will ignite. Have you tried disconnection power for a minute then returning the power? Also does the inducer fan operate correctly?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, per the instructions on the tank, I turned the power off at the fuse box, turned the water temp setting to the lowest, and turned the rocker switch to the off position. Then, I turned the water temp setting back to hot, switched the rocker switch to on and turned the power back on. Still nothing.
Are you getting a flashing code on your control box? I have a complete trouble shooting guide for this heater that I can give you a link for if you don't have one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are no lights on the control box. Yes, please send the trouble shooting guide.

No lights means there is no power, or the on' off switch is off. Here is the guide. If you do have power to the water heater, then you will need a new controller.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I sent you a picture of the rocker switch control, above is the circuit board, should I send a pic of it too?
Yes that would be good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to leave for a few hours, I will email it to you when I get back, thanks very much for your help so far.

Ok I will look for it. Just make sure your heater is going through the sequence. The inducer blower should come on first, then the pilot should light with an electronic spark, then the burner should come on. If the blower is not coming on, then there may not be power to the unit or there may be a problem with the fan. If there is not proof that the fan is operating, then the ignition sequence will not start. But there is no way to manually light this water heater.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not get home until late last night. I am going through the sequence this morning and will get back to you either way. Thank you.