Comfort Specialist
Comfort Specialist, Designer, Estimator & Technician
Experience:  Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.
66600370

My Goodman CKL36-1 Air Conditioning Unit has stopped working.

My Goodman CKL36-1 Air Conditioning Unit has stopped working. It won't even turn on. I have attempted to change the fuses, but that has not helped. What do you think the problem is?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Comfort Specialist replied 2 years ago.

Wvfan79 :

Hello there! I'm Norman but you can call me Norm. Let's see what I can do to get you some answers today. I'm ready to get started whenever you are.

Wvfan79 :

Can you tell me is anything operating? Does the blower run when you switch the thermostat fan switch to ON?

Wvfan79 :

Also, when you say changed fuses where did you change the fuses?

Customer:

No the blower does not work when I turn it on

Customer:

Nothing is operating

Wvfan79 :

What fuses did you change?

Customer:

The fuses on the outside of the house. The fuses were to the unit, the time delay fuses

Wvfan79 :

Ok, do you have a battery powered thermostat?

Customer:

I dont know. How would I check

Wvfan79 :

See if the cover pulls off the thermostat or if the entire thermostat pulls off the base.

Wvfan79 :

You can try rolling it up or down away from the wall.

Customer:

No it does not pull off the base.

Wvfan79 :

May also have a flip down cover or there may be a button that releases a battery compartment.

Wvfan79 :

Does the thermostat display work?

Customer:

Yes there is a battery compartment, when I take it out the display stops working

Wvfan79 :

Ok so the batteries are good.

Customer:

Is the battery just for the display or the whole thermostat?

Wvfan79 :

The whole thermostat but it is also powered by the furnace.

Wvfan79 :

Do you know where the furnace is located?

Customer:

Yes

Wvfan79 :

Ok, go to the furnace and pull both doors off. On the contol board found by the blower assembly there is a 3 amp car-type fuse like this plugged into the board. Pull the fuse and examine it. See if it is blown.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Wvfan79 :

That's an example of what the fuse will look like and how it may look plugged in.

Wvfan79 :

Notice the purple fuse in the lower left corner of the example board above.

Wvfan79 :

Don't touch anything else in there

Customer:

Ok, I am doing it now...

Wvfan79 :

Also check your breakers at the electrical panel.

Wvfan79 :

I'll be standing by when you return.

Customer:

We found a plug for the furnace/air conditioner unplugged. We plugged it in and the inside unit works. Now the outside fan works, but when the condenser attempts to turn on, there is a noise but it doesnt click

Wvfan79 :

Has the unit been worked on lately?

Customer:

No. The outdoor unit is 6 years old

Wvfan79 :

OK. so the indoor fan is blowing now and the outdoor condenser fan is running but the compressor did not start?

Customer:

Yes

Wvfan79 :

Give it a minute and place your hands on the copper pipes entering the outdoor unit and make sure they are not getting cold or hot.

Wvfan79 :

Be 100% sure the compressor is not running.

Wvfan79 :

One thing you can do is pull the wall mounted disconnect by the outdoor unit and wait a second and plug it back in, or switch it on depending on what type you have. When you do listed to the compressor and see if it starts or tries to start or if it runs for like 15 seconds then shuts off. Listen carefully.

Wvfan79 :

Once you have performed the above steps reply to me. If you hear nothing or can't tell we will then want to pull the service access door off of the unit and inspect the unit's capacitor.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Wvfan79/2012-06-26_021019_capacitors.jpg
Full Size Image

Wvfan79 :

If the top cap is swollen like this it is your problem.

Wvfan79 :

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Wvfan79/2012-06-26_021104_bad_capacitor.jpg
Full Size Image

Wvfan79 :

Sometime if it is not swollen it can still be bad internally. You would want to power the system down at the disconnect and the panel, then discharge the capacitor by using an insulated screwdriver to bridge the terminals (while only holding the rubber handle), lastly mark the wires then pull them off. Once off take the capacitor to a local hvac parts supplier for testing as it takes a special tool to test them. You could also replace the capacitor if you feel you'd rather do that. It should only cost 20-40 dollars for a replacement.

Wvfan79 :

When I mentioned pulling the disconnect above I meant with the thermostat set to cool and with the temp down. The compressor fan should be running when you pull the disconnect.

Customer:

Ok we were about to try the above steps when the outdoor unit turned off. There is a humming noise but it is not turning back on

Wvfan79 :

The humming is the contactor, thats normal

Wvfan79 :

Go make sure the thermostat is bumped down low.

Customer:

OK the thermostat is low.

Wvfan79 :

Was it low before?

Customer:

Where is the access door? Would it be in the rear of the machine

Customer:

Yes

Wvfan79 :

Rear corner above the copper lines

Wvfan79 :

2-4 screws to take it off

Customer:

Ok found it

Wvfan79 :

Be careful, unit contains high voltage

Wvfan79 :

If the capacitor is bad it may also be why the fan shut off.

Wvfan79 :

While you are in there see if the contactor is pulled in.

Full Size Image

Wvfan79 :

The center plastic tab where the picture above says... pulls in with 24 volts....should be depressed inward. You can use an insulated screwdriver or the eraser end of a pencil to depress it.

Wvfan79 :

If it's not already depressed the unit may start when you press it down an hold it.

Wvfan79 :

Please keep me filed in on the details of your findings.

Customer:

Ok we see the capacitor and the top is not bulging. We will take it out tomorrow (no shops open now). We are looking at the contractor now and we are attempting to depress the tab now

Customer:

We hold it down and it comes on but it wont stay down

Wvfan79 :

Ok so the unit indoors is not calling for it to run.

Wvfan79 :

THe furnace sends 24 volts to thermostat which then sends the voltage to the outdoor unit.

Wvfan79 :

Did you put the furnace doors back on?

Customer:

No. We will now

Wvfan79 :

That's why the contactor isn't pulled in.

Wvfan79 :

Once you do that give the unit 5 minutes or so to see if the compressor starts. Have someone stand next to the unit and listen for the compressor when you install the doors.

Wvfan79 :

Then feel the pipes.

Customer:

Ok...

Customer:

Ok we will wait for 5

Wvfan79 :

Did the contactor pull in?

Customer:

No, we attempted to push it in again but it didnt stay

Wvfan79 :

It should pull in on its own.

Wvfan79 :

When you pressed it in did the compressor and fan start on the unit

Customer:

It is depressed now but the compressor did not turn on

Wvfan79 :

Did it pull in on its own?

Customer:

Yes

Wvfan79 :

Oh good!

Wvfan79 :

Did you hear the compressor try to start?

Customer:

Yes

Wvfan79 :

And it shut down when starting

Wvfan79 :

or did it run for 15 seconds or so?

Customer:

Yes

Wvfan79 :

sorry to ask. You are 100% positive it's not running? You felt the pipes?

Customer:

Yes, we did feel the pipes, it was not cold or hot

Wvfan79 :

Ok, the capacitor would be #1 check, then after that I would suspect you may have a low refrigerant charge or possibly compressor issues. The likely cause is the capacitor.

Wvfan79 :

Be sure you power it down and discharge the capacitor before removing it.

Wvfan79 :

Can store an electrical charge.

Customer:

Ok, we will check that tomorrow and have someone check it.

Wvfan79 :

Sounds great!

Customer:

Thanks for the help

Wvfan79 :

You are very welcome. It was a pleasure working with you tonight!

Customer:

You too. Thanks

Wvfan79 :

Once you test it tomorrow you can always jump back on here and come back to this question, even after rating your experience and communicate with me. I work hard assist my customers to a solution.

Wvfan79 :

I have customers reply to me weeks after the initial question when it applies to the original request.

Customer:

Ok great. Will do. Thanks a lot!

Wvfan79 :

No problem

Wvfan79 :

IF you have to replace the capacitor be sure to buy the exact replacement as rated on the side of the old capacitor

Customer:

Do I exit the chat now or tomorrow after I talk to you? I am not sure how this site works....

Wvfan79 :

may be 370v or 440v then will have 35/5 or 45/5 mfd or uf rating.

Wvfan79 :

You can exit and then log in tomorrow, go up to my questions and click on this thread.

Wvfan79 :

Have a great night!

Wvfan79 :

If you find that your questions have been answered and you are 100% satisfied please rate your service 3 stars or higher today so that I am credited for providing great customer service to you. If you feel that you are not satisfied please do not rate at all, respond and we will continue until you are. If you ever have another question please bookmark my personal link so that you have it. http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-its-norm/. I'd love to help anytime.

Customer:

Hey got the new capacitor and everything worked! Thanks!

Experience: Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.