A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

My outdoor AC unit wont turn on. Only the attic furnace slash

Customer Question

My outdoor AC unit won't turn on. Only the attic furnace slash fan is blowing.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 2 years ago.

A-1 Tech :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

A-1 Tech :

The first thing to do is check your breakers to the outside unit.

Customer:

they were never off, I flipped them off then back on.

A-1 Tech :

If the cooling coil is above a ceiling, you should have a safety drain pan that would be visible, it mounts under the cooling coil. This pan may have water in it and a float switch cuts the unit off.

Customer:

The outside unit is on the ground.

A-1 Tech :

the cooling coil should be by the indoor fan

Customer:

checking

A-1 Tech :

do you have gas or electric heat?

Customer:

the drain pan is dry, the heat is gas.

A-1 Tech :

okay

A-1 Tech :

we can take the cover off the outside unit and check the contactor if you would like

Customer:

It's a Trane XR13, is it the corner panel that has the tubing running in and out?

A-1 Tech :

yes, it should be just above the tubing. I will put picture up of a contactor for you

Customer:

ok

A-1 Tech :

Full Size Image

A-1 Tech :

note hte divider in the middle with a plastic piece on each side.

A-1 Tech :

these are the contacts, they are spring loaded, low volts to this contactor pulls these contacts down to turn the unit on.

A-1 Tech :

you may have only 1 contact points instead of 2, thats ok

A-1 Tech :

if they are not pulld down or in, with a screw driver you can push down on this piece of plastic.

A-1 Tech :

the unit should come on

A-1 Tech :

If they are already down, there is another electrical problem inside the unit.

A-1 Tech :

if they are already pulled down, there is another electrical problem inside the unit.

A-1 Tech :

Be careful, this is 230 volts

A-1 Tech :

please advise of what you find.

Customer:

i think they are down.

A-1 Tech :

you can push on them and it wont hurt anything if you need to.

A-1 Tech :
A-1 Tech :

Can you look around inside that compartment and see if any wires look burned?

A-1 Tech :

Also look at the capacitor, does it look burned or swollen?/

A-1 Tech :

Full Size Image

A-1 Tech :

capacitors

Customer:

everything looks good in the area, the arms are definitely down

A-1 Tech :

okay, nothing out there runs?

Customer:

nothing

A-1 Tech :

then I am thinking either the capacitor is bad or we don't have 220/230 volts to the unit.

A-1 Tech :

a capacitor can fail without swelling.

A-1 Tech :

would you happen to have a volt meter?

Customer:

no

A-1 Tech :

then please double check the breakers. It will be a double breaker. turn them hard to the off position and then turn back on

A-1 Tech :

It is probably a 30 or 40 amp breaker

Customer:

there is a small hum and vibration coming from the AC after flipping them, but its not turning on.

A-1 Tech :

that could be the compressor running without the motor coming on

A-1 Tech :

the contactor also has a slight humm sometimes also

A-1 Tech :

lets turn the breaker on and see if you can feel heat coming from the unit.

A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience: I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 2 years ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know, Ron