Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Rheem RPKA-036JAZ. when outside ac unit kicks on, you can hear

Rheem RPKA-036JAZ. when outside ac unit kicks on, you can hear compressor running but outside fan won't turn on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 years ago.

Phil :

All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU NEED, I come and go. This is step ONE.

Phil :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Phil :

The first step in resolving this issue for you is discussing that is going on with the unit.

Customer:

The outside fan will not kick on. Only the compressor runs until it trips the breaker

Phil :

Regarding the outside unit... with the compressor in it... if the compressor runs without the fan running it will only run for a few seconds before it cuts off on its internal over loads or the units high pressure cut out switch.... unless it has any of the following other issues:

Phil :

See of the fan spins freely when you push it, or if its stiff

Customer:

Yes It does.

Customer:

We have two units. I have swapped fan motors, contactors, capacitors.

Customer:

and fan still doesn't run

Phil :

In that case the motor windings are burnt out...or... its run capacitor has failed.

Customer:

The motor and the capacitors run in the other unit

Phil :

In that case there is a bad wire connection between the compressor/ fan contractor and the motor... a burnt wire terminal, or a bad wire splice.

Phil :

Use a volt meter to check for 230 volts across the two wires that feed Line 1 and Line 2 power at the motor wires you disconnected when you tried it in the other unit.

Phil :

There will likely be no power there... it is just a matter of tracing those two wires back until you get a 240 volt read between them... the bad connection will be at that spot.

Phil :

Let me know how it goes, we keep at it until the situation resolves.

Customer:

I have checked the voltage on each leg. I have 120 volts on each leg. I have checked with a good volt ohm meter. I will check again

Phil :

Thats not a good way to check the power.

Customer:

ok. I will check it the way you recommended.

Phil :

If one leg is failed, you will get 110v to ground at either of the legs...due to feed back through the motor... but one leg will not run the motor

Phil :

You need 240 volts *between* the two legs in order to run the motor.

Phil :

One of those wires has a bad connection.

Customer:

thanks. I will go look now. I see, said the blind man :)

Phil :

We stay with this until the situation resolves, just post when you need more data or you can accept and rate my work any time you like.

Customer:

I had zero volts across the motor. I repaired an open in the wiring and now I have 240 volts and fan is running. Thank you.