Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have the following model a/c. (1F78-144 White-Rodgers 70

Customer Question

I have the following model a/c. (1F78-144 White-Rodgers 70 Series® Non-Programmable Single Stage Thermostat). I have had no problem before, but I turned the a/c on yesterday and it was working. When I came home from work the house was hot so I checked the a/c. The temp in the house was 85 degrees (I had been gone almost 12 hours so I don't know at what point it had stopped working). It was flashing the snowflake icon which I read meant 'the compresser is in lockout mode'. I don't know what this means or what to do with it. The fan was not running when I came home nor will it start now. Any suggestions?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

The thermostat has a built in delay to prevent the outdoor unit from shortcycling.

Lets say someone turned it to cool, then off and then back on...start and stopping like that can damage the compressor so the thermostat delays the signal.

If the icon is flashing it is stuck in delay. Unfortunately this means the thermostat is bad. The flashing should only last 5 minutes.

To test you can remove the thermostat top section and remove red, green and yellow wires...twist them together...this should engage cooling as it bypasses the thermostat.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now I turned it on for a moment and the icon is not flashing any longer. I hear the 'click' like I always do when it is trying to start, but nothing happened. I took the cover off and the wires are sooo small and I don't feel comfortable doing that so I guess I will have to call and tech and pay them too. :-(

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
I understand, Always better to be on the safe side. If you need further assistance just let me know,

Billy