Comfort Specialist
Comfort Specialist, Designer, Estimator & Technician
Experience:  Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.
66600370

I have a carrier 3.5 ton model fk4cnb006 and the fan does not

I have a carrier 3.5 ton model fk4cnb006 and the fan does not kick on. I see that the outside unit will kick on, but I check the air handler and no go. I checked the fuse on the inside 5amp and it looked good. I tried the fan and looked at the fan and it was turning, but very slowing and would stop ocationally. I have also cut power to both and turned it back on and no result. Does the fan have a starter Solenoid that could be the problem. Your help would be appreciated. I am selling the house for much less than the mortgage so I need to find a responable solution. Thank you for your help
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Comfort Specialist replied 2 years ago.

Wvfan79 :

Hello there! I'm Norman but you can call me Norm. Let's see what I can do to get you some answers today. I'm ready to get started whenever you are.

Wvfan79 :

The blower fan has a capacitor. If it has failed or is failing this could be your problem.

Wvfan79 :

The best way to find do a quick check on the blower motor is to kill the power, reach in the blower wheel and give it a spin, if it drags or stops quickly the blower is bad and will need to be replaced. That is unless something is lodged in the wheel.

Customer:

Ok I will be right back.

Wvfan79 :

The capacitor can only be inspected visually if you do not have the proper tools. Here is what a good capacitor may look like

Full Size Image

Customer:

I checked and spun just great.

Wvfan79 :

Ok, if the capacitor is bad it may bulge or have fluid leaking down the side of it. It is likely mounted to the fan housing.

Wvfan79 :

It may also be very rusty

Customer:

I do not see it outside anywhere, where in the fan housing. Do you have a picture.

Wvfan79 :

Full Size Image

Wvfan79 :

See the capacitor right there on it.

Customer:

Ok. let me take a look, I will be right back.

Wvfan79 :

k

Customer:

Norm, I do not see it anywhere on the outside. It is a carrier model fk4cnb006. Do you know where it is on this model?

Wvfan79 :

I can't find the exploded view, that's what I'm looking for as we speak.

Wvfan79 :

Give me a minute.

Customer:

Hope you can find it!

Customer:

Also do you know what the part number is?

Wvfan79 :

Still looking.

Wvfan79 :

Ok

Wvfan79 :

No capacitor on that model

Wvfan79 :

Do you own a multi-meter?

Customer:

No!

Wvfan79 :

Darn

Wvfan79 :

Here is my opinion.

Wvfan79 :

The board is sending voltage to the blower because it is clearly attempting to run. I recommend that you verify it's getting 120v by testing the two leads to the motor. That is if you can get a meter. If you read 120volts, steady current, the motor is bad. Now you can replace the motor if you just want to take the risk but know it may not be that or just that. I would borrow a meter and ensure before jumping into a blower motor replacement.

Customer:

And if it does read 120volts, what does that mean? Also what is the Blower motor part number?

Customer:

I meant does not read 120 volts.

Wvfan79 :

I'm sorry I said 120 volts, I meant If it reads 208/230 volts steady juice and the blower motor isn't turning the blower is bad.

Wvfan79 :

Give me a minute to research the part number.

Customer:

If it does not read 208/230 volts, what does that mean?

Wvfan79 :

It could be a control board, transformer, A problem with the molex plugs that connect the fan to the other components. I'm betting the voltage will be just fine when you check it.

Wvfan79 :

I am still looking for the motor part number or specs. Carrier does not make it easy to find part numbers. I even have a carrier service account and that yielded zero results.

Wvfan79 :

Ok come to find out the motor has what is called a diode module that would be your first step in solving the problem. Since the motor is a variable speed this controls it. CLICK HERE this is the lowest price I have found. Here is another LINK that shows you what it looks like and is another option for purchase.

Wvfan79 :

The part number is XXXXX RMOD44AE133

Wvfan79 :

I would start there since the blower is spinning freely when you push it with your hand. The guide I have did not tell me the blower was a variable speed so I apologize for not mentioning this sooner.

Customer:

Is this the part number for the blower motor or the diode module?

Customer:

How many customers do have going at one time?

Wvfan79 :

1 right now.

Wvfan79 :

You

Wvfan79 :

My daughter is coughing along so I'm trying to find the vicks vapor rub.

Wvfan79 :

I'm sorry

Wvfan79 :

15 month girls need lots of love!

Wvfan79 :

Coughing alot. Sorry

Wvfan79 :

The part number I gave you is for the diode module.

Customer:

Norm, family first!!!! So if it is getting the right voltage you believe that I should be the diode module?

Wvfan79 :

It's going to be hard for you to read the voltage unless you know what connections are getting the voltage. With this having that diode module the fan has plugs on it like you see in the picture with tons of wires going to it.

Wvfan79 :

One second, let me see if i can decipher what wires you will need to check.

Wvfan79 :

Ok, you will want to check the black and yellow wires coming out of the 5 pin connector

Wvfan79 :

That is with the thermostat on calling.

Wvfan79 :

My money is on that module.

Customer:

Thanks for the help, is that all I need to know. If so thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to that little lady of yours. Thanks again

Wvfan79 :

Yep, you're good to go. And thanks for the comment about my daughter. Does that answer all of your questions for tonight?

Customer:

I think so. Again Thanks

Wvfan79 :

Don’t forget to copy and paste any info you need into word or notebook and bookmark any pages you may want to save before finalizing this answer request.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com and remember you can always contact me using the messenger on my profile page. My page can be found using this link - http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-its-norm/. Also, I absolutely love positive feedback. Thanks again and have a great day!

Experience: Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.