Wvfan79
Wvfan79, Designer, Estimator & Technician
Experience:  NC/VA Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner

I have an oil furnace that wont stay lit. Itll fire up instantly

I have an oil furnace that won't stay lit. It'll fire up instantly and stay lit for 30 sec. After pressing the reset it will light up again but won't stay lit.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Wvfan79 replied 1 year ago.

Wvfan79 :

Hello there! I'm Norman but you can call me Norm. Let's see what I can do to get you some answers today. I'm ready to get started whenever you are.

Wvfan79 :

Can we start by you telling me a little more about your oil furnace, such as the model number, the age, the location, etc.?

Customer:

It's a mo HTL 100 series 55 about 30yrs in the basement

Customer:

The vents and the furnace have just been cleaned and vacuumed as well.

Wvfan79 :

Wow she's old! I'm fairly certain I will not be able to find information on that baby.

Customer:

I'm wondering if it would have a heat limit switch on it?

Wvfan79 :

Without an exploded service view this may be difficult for me to instruct you. Lets start here...Are you familiar with the flame-rod, if so, does this furnace have one, if so, have you cleaned it?

Wvfan79 :

When you reset are you resetting a limit or just the furnace itself?

Wvfan79 :

The flame rod senses the consistency and quality of the flame at the burners or pilot.

Customer:

There two electrodes beside the nozzle, i',m guessing one is a flame sense and the other is the igniter. I think the reset just restarts the furnace.

Customer:

And yes it was cleaned.

Wvfan79 :

The flame sensor should look like a steel rod. You can ensure that is clean by using a fine grit sandpaper or steel wool. How did you clean it when you serviced the unit?

Wvfan79 :

the question about the heat limit switch is a good one, however most furnaces have a resettable limit near the burner box. Most of the time they are manual. You can check yours to see if it has a manual reset button in the middle. If it is not tripped that is probably not your problem. You can test for voltage on both sides of the switch to be certain when the furnace goes through start up procedure.

Customer:

It had been sooted up when I cleaned it. I don't think the furnace had ever been cleaned before. I used a degreaser and a coarse paper towel on it.

Wvfan79 :

use something a little harsher on it like I recommended above. This may be part of your problem.

Wvfan79 :

Have you replaced any oil filters and nozzles?

Wvfan79 : Also are your air filters cleaned
Customer:

There is one grey Honeywell box that the Tstat wires go to with a reset button and another box above it with a cream colored Auto/man. dial on it. The oil filter is new, the air filter about 6mos.

Wvfan79 : I'm not sure how dusty your home is but you may want to consider changing the air filter after 6 months
Customer:

The air filter still looked fairly clean.

Wvfan79 : Does your furnace have oil nozzles? You might want to change that filter anyway a lot of times debris is not visible on the exterior of the filter but is trapped inside the fibers.
Customer:

When it fires up, the flame looks good, How would a new nozzle affect the duration of burn?

Customer:

I have cleaned the orifice and the little filter inside the nozzle as well.

Wvfan79 : It probably wouldn't. How does the flame look? What color is it? Does the base of the flame tend to lift?
Customer:

It is a strong yellow flame, with a good roar to it, a little louder than before the vents were cleaned.

Customer:

I can't see the start of the flame as there is a ccollar over it leading to the ceramic fire pot.

Wvfan79 :

I'm sorry my computer crashed.

Customer:

Ouch

Wvfan79 :

On my phone now so I may be a little slow

Wvfan79 :

re-booting.

Wvfan79 :

Does the flame ever tend to surge?

Customer:

No, it lights and stays steady,then cuts out.

Wvfan79 :

As for your remark about the flame color the flame of some oil burners may be light yellow in color. More often it should have a blue - white or chrome colored flame. A dark yellow flame is an indication of a lack of air in the mixture. If is the case you may have problems on that end tripping the limit.

Wvfan79 :

Adjustments should be made by a professional with the correct tools.

Wvfan79 :

A proper air to fuel ratio is required for a effective flame on an oil burning unit. It will take a combustion analyzer or a smoke tester to make any air adjustment.

Wvfan79 :

You can also tell if your burner is not receiving enough air by checking the amount of soot. A low air mixture will produce more soot and will also produce higher levels of dangerous carbon monoxide.

Customer:

I guess I'll have to phone around to find an old furnace tech. Living on an island does have a few drawbacks. Thanks for your time.

Wvfan79 :

You are very welcome. Have I answered all of your questions today?

Customer:

Yes thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of any more.

Experience: NC/VA Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner
Expert:  Wvfan79 replied 1 year ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Wvfan79 replied 1 year ago.
Don’t forget to copy and paste any info you need into word or notebook and bookmark any pages you may want to save before finalizing this answer request.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com and remember you can always contact me using the messenger on my profile page. My page can be found using this link - http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-its-norm/. Also, I absolutely love positive feedback. Thanks again and have a great day!
Expert:  Wvfan79 replied 1 year ago.
Best of luck to you and have a great day!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,You will not have a flame rod. Follow the 2 yellow wires from your reset box...they go to an eye under the transformer. Clean this eye first. If it still faults there are other things we can do.Billy