Comfort Specialist
Comfort Specialist, Designer, Estimator & Technician
Experience:  Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.
66600370

Is there any recalls I should be aware of on my York furnace.

Is there any recalls I should be aware of on my York furnace. I heard there may be recalls on the coil systems.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Comfort Specialist replied 2 years ago.

Wvfan79 :

Hello I'm Norman & thanks for using JustAnswer. Please do not press accept or leave feedback until you feel we have reached a resolution.

Wvfan79 :

How are you tonight?

Customer:

Im good except for the smoke that was coming out of my vents earlier tonight. Lol

Wvfan79 :

That's no good

Wvfan79 :

So you are curious about recalls. Luckly I am a York dealer

Customer:

I spoke with hanneberry and they said there may be recalls on the coil systems with York furnaces/ac units

Wvfan79 :

yes there are but only one type of coil in particular

Wvfan79 :

It's what York calls the blue coil

Wvfan79 :

Basically if you take the door off the coil and look inside upon a blue tinted coil you have the coil that is recalled.

Wvfan79 :

It will honestly be a smurf colored coil.

Customer:

How would I know if I have that coil system. Where is the door for the coil system. My system was installed about 3 years ago.

Wvfan79 :

Do you have an air handler or gas furnace?

Customer:

What do you mean by air handler. I have propane as my gas source for my house.

Wvfan79 :

Ok

Wvfan79 :

so yo have a gas furnace

Wvfan79 :

you

Wvfan79 :

the coil will either be on or below the gas furnace where ever it is located.

Wvfan79 :

If you are able to take a picture of it I can show you exactly where the coil door is.

Customer:

Ok let me take a look. 1 minute please thank you.

Wvfan79 :

There will be about 6-8 5/16" screws holding the cover on. It will be where the copper lines and the drain lines connect.

Customer:

Well Im not sure and don't know how to upload a picture. There was water under unit tonight, water dripping out of red plastic plug and the copper tubing that runs along ceiling to outside unit was covered in condensation. I have a guy coming tomorrow but what questions should I be asking to make sure everything is covered under a recall/warrenty. I originally had air on but later turned on heat. Once heat was turned on withen minutes my downstairs was filled with white smoke coming from vents. Just want to make sure I know what to say tommorrow to whoever they send out.

Wvfan79 :

Ok, no problem

Wvfan79 :

Tell them to inspect the coil, ask them if it is Blue tinted coil fins, if so the coil is covered under the recall. Every blue coil was recalled.

Wvfan79 :

Also, smoke will come out the vents if this is the first time you set for the heat to come on in a long time

Wvfan79 :

This is sometimes normal

Wvfan79 :

Did it smell like oil burning?

Customer:

It smelled like a candle that was just blown out.

Wvfan79 :

Was this the first time you turned the furnace on in awhile?

Customer:

Not really a week or so. The unit has been having issues in the past week cooling. The temperature is not getting down to the temp we desire. One day it will work the next it doesn/t and then this was new today.

Customer:

If I do have the blue coil system who should of notified me of the recall. I heard nothing from York or the builder of my home who installed it.

Wvfan79 :

They kind of kept it hush hush and just offered to pay parts and labor when someone came across one.

Wvfan79 :

the problem with the blue coil was multiple leaks

Wvfan79 :

So you may have a low refrigerant charge, that may be why you are not getting cooling like you desire.

Customer:

Is this something that if I wasn't home when it happened and turned off unit immediately could of led to a fire in my house

Wvfan79 :

no

Wvfan79 :

The blue coil problem is just a cooling problem for you since you have a furnace

Wvfan79 :

the smoke is totally unrelated to the coil thing

Customer:

Ok thank you for your help. I feel better now at least if I see a blue coil I know a recall was issued. You have been very helpful.

Experience: Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.