Tom
Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience:  16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial
18550064

I have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Furnace, and the main board

Customer Question

I have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Furnace, and the main board shorted out on it. I purchased a replacement board and transformer, however in connecting the transformer wires, I lost track of just where the transformer wires plug into the control board. Could you help me?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.

Tom :

Hi, Tom here..I'll do my best to help and opt out if I cannot.

Tom :

Do you have the model number of your furnace?

Customer:

I'm Looking

Tom :

Rats...I can't access my Carrier acct. at this time.

Tom :

Is there a terminal marked 24v?

Tom :

or...can you tell me what terminals do not have anything connected to them?

Customer:

Weather maker 8000

Tom :

Ok...unfortunately I can't get into my Carrier info from here. My fault entirely.

Tom :

Is there empty terminals on the board and what are they labled?

Tom :

labeled

Customer:

They are labeled:

Customer:

PR-1; PR-2; L-1; L-2; COM; SEC-1; SEC-2

Customer:

I think that is it.

Tom :

Sec 1 and Sec 2 would be for the secondary or 24 volt side of the transformer.

Tom :

Did all 4 transformer wires plug into the board?

Tom :

The transformer lead wires should be color coded.

Tom :

IF the transformer has plug in connectors on all wires...PR1 and PR2 should be the primary or 115 volt side of the transformer.

Tom :

If you give me the wire colors I can help you sort that out.

Customer:

The transformer wire colors are as follows:

Tom :

Also...does there happen to be a diagram on the back side of one of the service panels?

Customer:

Black

Customer:

White

Customer:

Red

Customer:

Blue

Customer:

On the new transformer, the Black and white wires are much heavier than on the old one.

Tom :

OK...Black to PR1....White to PR2 Red to Sec 1 blue to Sec2 should get it going. L1 and L2 are for the 115 volt power from the breaker

Tom :

Do they have plug in connectors on them?

Customer:

L1 and L2 are heavier, and go to a connector on the furnace.

Tom :

That sounds right.

Customer:

OK, I will hook them up as you suggest. Thanks for your assistance.

Tom, HVAC Technician
Experience: 16+yrs HVAC/R service. Residential Commerical Industrial
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Did you find the answer? Our entire conversation should be available. Let me know. Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know how to bring it back up.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Click on MY Questions Tab at the top of the page.
See if that gets you there.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Anyway....
PR1 Black
PR2 White
Sec 1 Red
Sec 2 Blue

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got it now. Thanks a bunch.

I was on with Tom, Which is which on two "L's" L-1, L-2, black or white to which?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hi..I'm back.....I would generally put black on L1 and white on L2...

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, Tom
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
No problem...good luck with your project! Tom