Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a new goodman unit that is blowing warm air when in

I have a new goodman unit that is blowing warm air when in cool mode, any advise?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 years ago.

airheatman :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX do my best to answer your question.Remember, you are not charged and I am not paid until you accept my answer.

airheatman :

When you sya warm, do you mean as the heat is on?

airheatman :

If so, is this a new installation? And has thermostat been programmed to match the system?

airheatman :

Goodman uses O for the reversing valve, so make it is selected

Customer:

Yes as in seems that heat is on; yes is new install; the thermostat doesn't have a program option, only a single wiring bar that has the color code for conventional above the bar, and heat pump below it; In saying the previous, I can find nothing in the manual for the thermostat that gives me the option. The block for the reversing valve/orange wire does say O/B.

airheatman :

Give me the model on the thermostat

Customer:

Honeywell FocusPro TH6000

Customer:

wiring is L E C G W Y R Rc (This is off memory may not neccesarily be that order.)

Customer:

Oh and O/B

airheatman :

Lets go to installer setup

airheatman :

Do you know how to get there?

Customer:

No

airheatman :

On thermostat, press and hold rthe UP arrow and FAN button until Function 1 appears

Customer:

Oh I am not at the residence right now, I am trying to help a coworker. If you could walk me through the steps though I would appreciate it.

airheatman :

When you see ! on left side of screen, tell me what number is XXXXX on right side of screen

airheatman :

Here is a link to tjhe manual. The instructions are very easy to understand

airheatman :

SEtup menu starts on page 6

airheatman :

Make sure settings are as follows:

airheatman :

1= 5

airheatman :

2=0

airheatman :

3=1

airheatman :

5=9

airheatman :

6=9

airheatman :

7=9

airheatman :

9=3

airheatman :

10=3

airheatman :

12=1

airheatman :

13=1

airheatman :

14=0

airheatman :

15=5

airheatman :

16=0 if not programmed, 1 if programmed

airheatman :

27=90

airheatman :

28=50

airheatman :

Everything should work if setup is as above

Customer:

ok would the wrong settings also cause a very high pressure reading at the condenser unit?

airheatman :

It would if it is bring in reversing valve

airheatman :

What pressures do you have?

Customer:

We shut the unit down when it passed 650 head pressure and the low side was pegged.

airheatman :

That sounds more lioke a restriction

airheatman :

Your expansion valve may not be opening or a piece of trash might have gottem in line(burr)

Customer:

So do you think these setting changes will make a difference?

airheatman :

THey will make sure it is going in cool mode, but probably not going to help with that pressure issue

airheatman :

What was suction pressure?

Customer:

I never put the high pressure guage on it, but my low pressure guage reads to 300 PSI and it pegged that while seemingly in a heat cycle. I know this is a 410A system so I expected some higher readings, but not that high.

airheatman :

You must have a resriction. Your suction will run about 130 to 150 and heads will be in the 350 area

airheatman :

Wait a minute

airheatman :

When you say suction, where did you have the hose connectected

Customer:

The large line--suction small line--high pressure

airheatman :

Did you have it on the suction service valve or the true suction port between reversing valve and compressor

airheatman :

You can not use the suction valve in HEAT mode

airheatman :

You are probably ok

airheatman :

You were reading head pressure if in HEAT modse

airheatman :

You have to connect suction gauge to the extra port inside the unit

Customer:

Oh no these were both outside

airheatman :

called true suction. It is between reversing valve and compresor

Customer:

There was a third valve about 4 inches higher on the outside above the two I used would that be it?

airheatman :

In cool mode you use the suction(large valve) and Head (small valve). But in cool mode you will have to use the true scution inside the unit

airheatman :

Yes

airheatman :

Make sure it is coming from the suction line,I am sure it is

airheatman :

You can damage your suction gauge by connecting it to large valve in heat mode as it is not designed to go tyhat high

Customer:

OK so once I get it programmed right, I should use the true suction valve and the small (High Pressure) valve to get my readings in cool mode, and should blow cool air inside and slightly warm air outside, right?

airheatman :

In cool mode, you can use eithe rthe true suction(it never changes) and the small high side valve

airheatman :

Or you can use trhe suction valve and high side valve

airheatman :

Just cant use the large suction valve in HEAT

Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you don't mind I will try this tomorrow after work before I accept, but I believe this will do it, and you have been very helpful. I would just like to retain our contact for now, I promise you will be paid.

That is fine