Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

I have a Payne PG9MAA036060 with a 14 error code that goes

I have a Payne PG9MAA036060 with a 14 error code that goes to a 34 error code. Do I need to replace the Day & Night Gas Valve? The existing part number is XXXXX and I see the replacement part is EF32CW192.
Jamie Sharples
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 years ago.

airheatman :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX do my best to answer your question.Remember, you are not charged and I am not paid until you accept my answer.

airheatman :

I don,t have manual in front of me, is the error code 34.

IGNITION PROVING FAILURE

Customer:

yes

airheatman :

OK let me see if I can find a manual on your exxact furnace ,This is a common code on Bryant/Payne units

airheatman :

Just means the furnace attempted like 3 times and diodnt light

Customer:

right

airheatman :

When you turn to heat what will hapen

Customer:

nothing, fan will blow but no heat

airheatman :

There is a small vent fan called an inducor motor.Does it come on?

Customer:

hmmm.......let me see if i can locate

airheatman :

Full Size Image

airheatman :

similar to this

Customer:

that does come on

Customer:

and is still on but the error code is 34

airheatman :

Turn power off to furnace and then back on, Then go to heat. The inducer fan will start , after afew seconds the ignitor should start to glow bright orange,

Full Size Image
or spark ignitor should spark like a lighter.Payne used botn so not positive which one you have
Full Size Image

Customer:

should i see the ignitor in the little window where i see the red flashing code light?

Customer:

because all i see is the red flashing light, no orange glow

airheatman :

NO

Customer:

so where do i find it?

airheatman :

It will be in the burner area. You will have to remove panel

Customer:

ok

airheatman :

With panel off, you will have to hold or tape the door button switch in to allow furnace to get power

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i removed the small panel at the top of the heater, there is another little observation glass in it, i see the burners in there, but there is nothing orange, i can't locate the ignitor

airheatman :

Gas valves do malfunction, but are rarely the issue. The code is just saying that if failed to light.The first thing to check is inducer coming on.You have done that.Next is to see if pressure switch clsoes and sends signal to ignitor.If so, the ignitor itself may be the culprit and need to be replaced. If not sending signal to ignito it could be a pressure switch not closing.This can be a bad pressure switch,blocked drain,blocked intake or exhaust vent.It will be necessary to locate the ignitor and see if it tries to light or if it is getting voltage.To check for voltage will will require a meter.

Full Size Image

airheatman :

Often a broken ignitor will be the issue

Full Size Image

Customer:

I see the gas ignitor back in there, looks hard to get to, how would i replace that?

airheatman :

It can be difficult, might have to remove some panels, but is necessary to troubleshoot.If it was easy, no one would call us technicians .(lol).Seriously, you can follow the wires going to ignitor and remove wht you have to to get to it

Customer:

no voltage meter, but i think i see how to get to the ignitor now. I will get a replacement ignitor, turn all the gas off and electricity, and replace it. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i'm okay now

Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.