ahammer48
ahammer48, Master Technician
Experience:  Thirty four years of HVAC installation, service, maintenance.

I am replacing my Honeywell PC8900-C with a new Honeywell Focus

Customer Question

I am replacing my Honeywell PC8900-C with a new Honeywell Focus Pro 6000. The original was wired as follows: 1) Red, 2) White, 3) Yellow, 4) Green. I have the new one wired as: Green - to g, white to w, yellow to y, and red to rc with jumper in place between the r and rc. I have 2 air conditioner units and 2 thermostats. I set the time and day and the display flashes cool. I can get it to stop flashing but the air doesn't come on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.

gotoman for ac :

Is this a battery operated thermostat? Turn fan to on position to see if it runs. Russ

Customer:

yes - we are trying that

Customer:

it doesn't appear to be working.

gotoman for ac :

If you did not turn power off to unbit you may have blown a fuse. What is make and model number of inside unit.. Russ

Customer:

the air conditioner unit?? It is an Amana RCE36C2A.

Customer:

My husband is checking it outside.

gotoman for ac :

Is this a gas furnace inside. Russ

Customer:

We have an Amana Gas Furnace GUVA/GCVA inside and the airconditioner is outside. He could not tell where to check for a blown fuse.

gotoman for ac :

Open the lower panel on furnace. You will see a furnace igniter board. Om board is a 3 or 5 amp auto type fuse. Check to see if it is blown. Russ

Customer:

ok, we will check and get back with you.

gotoman for ac :

I will be out for 30 minutes. Russ

Customer:

We have to leave for a short time so we will check back with you. Thanks

Customer:

there was a fuse (purple) in upper left corner of board. The metal wire on the fuse seems to be intact. we have taken it out and put it back in. It sparked when he put it back in.

gotoman for ac :

Your fuse is ok. Make sure the jumper between R and RC is connected. When you have front off thermostat take a small wire and jumper between R and G to see if fan runs. Russ

Customer:

ok we will try it but wont be home for about an hour will check back

Customer:

OK, we tried putting the wire between R & G. Fan does not run.

gotoman for ac :

Go to furnace and open panel. On board you will see R Y G W C terminals where wire is connected. Take a small wire and jumper from R to G and see if fan comes on. You will see a door switch that must be pushed in for fan to work. Do you have a voltmeter. Russ

Customer:

do I take the jumper between R & G off of the thermostat before I do this?

Customer:

We will try this tomorrow morning and get back to you. Everything was working just fine until we switched thermostats. Really didn't think it would be complicated. Frustrating.

gotoman for ac :

I will be on at 6:00 AM CST. The thermostat change is simple. standard color code. Might be better to do it fresh in morning.

Customer:

To reopen our issue from last night, our 2 other thermostats are in the off position, the fuse in the furnace is good, and wiring in the thermostat is still G=Green, W=White, Y=Yellow, R=Red with the jumper to RC. We have removed the R to G jumper on the thermostat. We do have a voltmeter.

Customer:

Is this where we need to be to do the test on the front of the furnace?

Customer:

Just fyi, when we set the thermostat on this unit the display says that the system is on, but the unit itself outside is just not working.

gotoman for ac :

Check between R and G on therm ostat to see if you have 24 volts. Russ

Customer:

on the board, these the designations of the wire, y, b/c, g, r, w1, w2 and they all have wires going to them. they are wired as follows: yellow & orange wires to Y, White wire toB/C, Green to G, Blue to R, another White to W1, and a black to W2. The door switch is pushed in. We are checking the voltage on the thermostat now.

gotoman for ac :

you only have Green White Red and Yellow at thermostat. Russ

Customer:

Yes, we have tried the voltmeter and we are not getting any power if it is working correctly. We have tried DC at the 50 mark, (actually almost all settings on the voltmeter) and we are not getting anything. When checking a socket in the kitchen on AC it is working.

Customer:

Because the thermostat is battery operated, it seems to be working correctly, but we don't seem to be getting power through the wires.

Customer:

FYI, we have done the steps on the thermostat itself. We have not yet tried jumping the R to G on the panel upstairs. To be clear on the panel upstairs we are to jump between the letters R & G despite the color of the wires. Correct?

gotoman for ac :

Yes G is the fan terminal on strip. Check voltage on terminal strip of furnace between R and B/C. See if you have 24 volts AC. Russ

Customer:

we have the volmeter set at the 50 AC setting and jumped the correct terminals and the door switch is in and we get nothing. Our other unit works just fine though???

Customer:

our other thermostats are in the off position just in case that would make any difference.

gotoman for ac :

Do you have light on board. Russ

gotoman for ac :

The board you can not get voltage on at terminals R and B/C. Check fuse agian. Russ

Customer:

when i push the door switch flat a red light flashes on but goes off immediately. There is a green flashing light next to the fuse but that is all. We are getting no reading on the voltmeter on the panel. we tried the jumping on the panel with the door switch in both positions and nothing. we put new batteries in the voltmeter just in case and still nothing.

gotoman for ac :

Have you rechecked fuse. Russ

Customer:

OK, I'm an idiot. I told my husband wrong. Between R and B/C we have 24 volts.

gotoman for ac :

Jump from R to G now and see if the fan works. Russ

Customer:

in the panel correct?

gotoman for ac :

Yes panel. What color wires are on on R G W Y at panel. Russ

Customer:

at the g= green, r=blue, y=orange-yellow(2 wires), w1 is white, w2 is black.

gotoman for ac :

Connect the wires on thermostat to match the wires on furnace panel. Russ

Customer:

the fan works when he jumps G & R on the panel.

gotoman for ac :

Can you tell which wires go to thermostat from terminal board. Russ

Customer:

on the thermostat we only have 4 wires. we have g=green, y=yellow, w=white, and Red to R & RC with a factory provided jump between the two. Where should we have voltage (between which terminals) on the thermostat?

gotoman for ac :

Whatever wires are connected at the furnace board connec to same terminals on thermostat regardless of color. I have to leave for an hour but will check back. Russ

Customer:

it says in our manual to remove the jumper if you have a two transformer system but I don't know if we do. We do have two separate units.

Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I believe the thermostat(new) requires the common side (C) of the transformer. Think you need to run C to new stat. Believe U are only running on battery power which will allow U to program stat, but won't allow the unit (heat/cooling) to operate. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you replacing the other technician? I don't know how to do that. Do we need to run the red to the "C" position now. We tried that earlier but it didn't work. Also do I need to remove the factory provided jumper between the R&RC?

Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
If theres only (1) transformer per thermostat then leave jumper in place. Not sure if I'm replacing other tech. I'm new to this but don't mind helping any way. Look at new stat and U should see a (C) terminal. The (R) terminal is one side of the transformer in the unit. (C) is the other side of the transformer. The new stat needs 24vac to operate. If you have any spare thermostat wires left(wires not used) shut off power to the unit where the transformer is located(most likely the inside fan section) and look at the low voltage 24VAC terminal block(where R,G,W,Y, etc) are. Hopefully you will see a (C) terminal If you have an unused wire hook it up to that terminal and then hook the same wire up to the (C) of your stat. Turn main power back non and U should be set to go. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, we don't really know how many transformers we have but we do have a C terminal. We have no spare wires. we only have 4 wires.

G=Green

Y=Yellow

W=White

and the Red we currently have attached to R&RC with the jumper between them.

Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
Ugh. Houston we have a problem. The stat you purchased requires 24vac to operate. It can not run off of battery backup. Battery is only to maintain program during a power outage. I'm afraid you'll have to revert to your old style thermostat or run like a six conductor, 18 gauge(I always like a spare wire) stat wire to get new stat to work. Sorry for the bad news. You need at the very least 5 wires, preferably 6(good to have a spare)
Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
hmmm. rereading stat installation instructions and they say C is optional if batteries are installed but I've never run into a stat that could fully function off of batteries alone. Always had to have 24vac power. will continue reading
Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
according to Honeywell UR stat will work on battery alone. Sorry. My bad. Rereading Ur original post try putting it to cool and set temperature to 65 degrees. Cool my flash for 5 minutes (compressor protection time out) unit should start after 5 minute time delay. If it does reset stat to temperature you'd like to maintain. Believe original problem was that U weren"t waiting 5 minutes for the compressor protection to time out. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we have waited for the unit to start and the cool to stop flashing every time. We just aren't getting power at the thermostat for some reason - at least the way we currently have it wired. Our manual looks like we should put the red wire on the "C" terminal but that doesn't seem to help either. We bought the exact thermostat that our repairman/installer told us to buy. We don't know if we have one transformer or two and don't know how to find out.

How far have you got so far on thermostat. Russ

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no where. Same place we were when we talked to you last. Cant get the thermostat wired correctly. The wiring upstairs on the panel do not match what is on the thermostat.

Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Am looking at the installation instructions for a Honeywell focuspro Th6011od and other series 6000 stats. On page 2 it says power options and shows picture of stat. Under picture of stat it says: connect C for primary AC power(optional if batteries are installed) Does UR manual say that on page 2? If yes then goto page 4 top left shows terminal hookup and to see note(3) by the C terminal. At the bottom of page 4 are the notes and again it says hooking up C is optional. I don't want to argue with Honeywell but every other stat I've encountered needed C hooked up. We can try doing this. In UR original post the wiring hook up-Red to R ,white to W, green to G , and yellow to Y should be correct.Do this fix only if your comfortable with it. Turn off power to indoor unit/furnace. Get some wire and if you can(18 gauge) and then run it from C of the indoor unit to C on the stat. Be careful(it's only 24vac) don't force the stat together. Turn power back on to indoor unit and then try working unit again. If it works after the 5 minute time delay, then yes you must have C hooked up to stat and you'll have to replace the stat wire to at least a 5 conductor -18 gauge stat wire.

After I had time to research 8900. You have a Comfort Control Center. You have to replace with same thermostat or a Honeywell IAQ system. The thermostat you have will not work. Russ

Expert:  ahammer48 replied 2 years ago.
Agree with gotoman. Should have researched your PC8900. There's is a module (W8900) that the PC8900 is wired to. Need same stat or you'll have to remove both to use a regular programmable stat.
ahammer48, Master Technician
Experience: Thirty four years of HVAC installation, service, maintenance.