Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

i have a Takagi TK1S tankless water heater that has been working

Customer Question

i have a Takagi TK1S tankless water heater that has been working great for nearly 6 years. This morning there was no hot water. The GCFI was tripped, I reset it and the water heater started working again for about 15 minutes. The GCFI tripped again and now the reset will not hold. I do not have the diagnostic reader installed, so I have no fault codes to read. Help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 years ago.

Phil :

All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU NEED, I come and go. This is step ONE.

Phil :

Hello

Customer:

hi

Phil :

Its either a bad GFCI, or something wrong with the electrical system in the Takagi heater

Phil :

...or...

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I figured as much

Phil :

something else going bad thats plugged into any other circuits that might have been wired down stream so to speak from the GFCI

Customer:

Yeah, I was just wondering if there are any common issues with the Takagi TK1S that might be an easy fix

Customer:

but it sounds like I need a technician to look at the unit

Phil :

If you have a multi meter you can check the Takagi unit from its plug cap for any read to the ground.

Customer:

Just thought I'd try this service since it's Saturday

Customer:

OK, I do have a multimeter

Customer:

I'll run that test

Customer:

Any other ideas?

Phil :

If you get no read there, because the relays will be open in the control circuits..you can remove the front of the boiler and unplug each item one at a time and check for a ground there.

Customer:

got it

Phil :

If that fails to find a ground, a megohm meter is required. that checks using almost no amperage but very high voltage... 10,000 volts or more in many cases

Customer:

OK. I appreciate the help.