Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My carrier thermostat model # XXXXXNNN-NN-NNNN My thermostats

Customer Question

My carrier thermostat model # XXXXXNNN-NN-NNNN My thermostat's screen went blank last night and has not come back on. The fan continues to run. Any idea what the problem and fix may be? Thanks!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
If your particular stat takes batteries make sure they are good.

But commonly this situation is caused by loss of power from the furnace.

This can be temperture related with a safety switch or dpending on the unit a plugged drain (if applicable).

Does the furnace have power?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Furnace has power, yes.

I don't think my stat uses batteries. When I open up the stat, I dont see any spot for batteries.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Ok, we could be off on a safety...what is make/model of furnace.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Carrier
Model 58MCA060-16
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Excellent,

this model will tell us what went wrong. Do you see a red blink light on the circuit board?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do see a blinking red light
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
The code will be 2 digits...short blinks..pause...long blinks.........longer pause.....short blinks etc..

We the take the short blinks and long and it tells us code.

short short......long..long...long...long = 24.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so the blink sequence is short, long, long, long = code 13
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
This means off on limit...do you see a credit card sized flat plate on the front wall with 2 wires attached?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm gonna go check for the credit card sized flat plate. Be right back w/that info.

I'm just gonna throw this out there...I don't recall having ever changed my filter...not even once. Is that likely the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do see the plate. It appears to have two wires, one black and one white.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Correct...this is a overtemp fault.

Change the filter...turn off power...tap the flat plate 4-5 times. turn power on and see if it goes to a different code. If it doesnt not you will need to replace that limit switch.

The flat switch will not have black and white but red...it sits directly on front wall.graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wires I see running into the black are definitely black and white.

May be a stupid question, but how do I remove the filter? There's a tube that looks like a drain tube that runs horizontally in front of the filter.

Does the filter just slide into place or is it affixed to something?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
can you take a pic and post here?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Billy. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I ran out to grab a new filter.

I just installed the new filter and the code is now short, short, short...long, long, long = 33.
However, my stat display screen still shows nothing/is blank.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
We need to tap the switch 4-5 times first.

It is the flat credit card sized plate but has 2 red wires to it...did you ever identify this switch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not identified the switch.

Please explain to me where I should be seeing it. Is it in down where the circuit board is?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
It will be on s front wall behind the gas pipe and gas valve. If you can take pic of the furnace I can direct you>

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll go take a pic now.

Also, the code is now 13.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
standing by

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does the new code mean - in other words, the fact that it changed from 33 after installing the new filter to 13?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the top section is filled up with the big black exhaust fan...behind that on the right side tucked behind dhould be a rectangle plate with 2 red wires....then on the side of the burner bos should be another small round switch with red wires...these wires lead to the flat plate also.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay...I'm now w/you Bill.

I see the plate behind the fan and it does have 2 red wires running in to it.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Power off...tap it 4-5 times...power on,,,tell me code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's the flat plate, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean "tap it"?

Like tap it w/my finger or the tip of a screwdriver? You mean, literally, just hit it/tap it?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Correct that is it

reach in with tip of screw driver and tap it firmly

with power off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tapped it firmly w/power off...turned power on...code is now 33
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,

Now turn power off, pull those 2 wires off the plate...use a short nail or paper clip and stick it into the end connector of each wire. So we have no wires on the plate...and they connect together.

Turn power on, and tell me code and we will go to last step

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll go do what you just told me to, but since I tapped it and powered on and the code read 33, it has since gone back to code 13.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
The 13 and 33 are synomonous.

They both mean the same result just with different amount of tries.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The red light is now solid red after doing what you told me
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,

This means normal and the switch is indeed stuck open.

Can you remove that switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean "remove it"? As in unscrew the screws holding it in place and take the switch off the wall?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
That is correct, it has (2) 1/4" screws that hold it in place.

I want to remove it...clean the switch on other side....heat to very warm with hairdryer...then put in freezer for 5 minutes. Then install and put wires back on and see code.

steady light = it reset and you ok to go.
33 0r 13 = you need to buy s new switch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The screws aren't regular or phillips head screws. They're hexagonal heads and the space is so tight behind the exhaust fan that I can get a socket set back in there.

Any ideas?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
you are correct, it is a tight fit and requires a socket or 1/4" open wrench

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've gotten the lower screw out and am now working on the top one.
Just to be clear, this switch that I need to either just clean or possibly replace w/a new one is the reason that my thermostat has gone blank on the display screen and stopped working?

And thank you very much, Bill, for walking me through this over the course of this entire afternoon. I really do appreciate it. And you clearly seem to know your stuff.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Correct...sorry I get a head of myself..

The switch you are messing with is a high temperature switch. When the the temp gets too high it turns off the gas valve and turns on the blower to cool down the unit.

Once cooled the switch is to close again but yours stuck open. That is why I was trying to "coax" it before changing it.

When the is switch gets hot and opens (usually from dirty filter) it turns off power to the thermostat and halts all operation until the switch is cooled.

With it bypassed right now the thethermostat should be lit and the furnace work.

But we dont want to run the furnace unattended without this switch in place.

If it closes we are good...if it stays open you will need to take it to a local heating shop and get a new one.

If you have any questions at all let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good news...I've got the switch removed. So, now please tell me, again, what to do? Thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
clean the dust and dirt of the end with the switch....then heat the switch with a hair dryer....then put the switch in freezer for 5 minutes. Before you put back in...turn furnace off...put the 2 wires on the switch...turn on power...if it is solid light then turn off power and finish installing. If code 13 or 33 still is present replace the switch.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good stuff Bill!!! It worked!!! Thank you so, so much!!! I'm not the handiest dude and you walked me through this in such a way that it was very easy to understand and didn't feel for even a seconded that I was in over my head. I will certainly be givning you a glowing review. Again, thank you so much. Take it easy!
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Terrific!

Better than a weekend service call huh?

Thank you for your patience.

Billy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One final question for you...I dropped one of the screws that holds the plate in place behind the fan when reinstalling the plate. I cant locate the screw. Is that going to become a problem?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
no,

as long as the switch remains in place it is not crucial.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a 1/4" screw in a can that I keep full of odd screws, nuts, washers, etc. that I used to secure the plate after dropping the original one.

My concern, and hence my question to you, was one of the original screw somehow ending up in the fan or somewhere else that could damage the furnace. Is that not something I need to be concerned w/?

Thanks!
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
No concern at all...the inducer is a sealed motor and I have lots of experience with this unit....there is no where the screw could go that impede operation or do any damage.

I can assure thst I have done the same thing many times..

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! That just put me greatly at ease!

Again, I cant thank you enough, Bill! Im sorry to have forced you to take many hours walking me through this today...hence the $30 bonus - you certainly earned it.

Enjoy your evening!
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
I really appreciate your generosity.

It is refreshing. Many utilize the help and never pay.

I thank you,

Billy