Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

My Intertherm Nordyne water heater has both upper and lower

My Intertherm Nordyne water heater has both upper and lower thermostats. Where I live there are numerous power outages and on occasion I've had to push the red reset button on the upper thermostat; about a week ago another outage caused the circuit breaker to engage and cut the power off. Whenever I reset the breaker the water heater would trip off. Worried there might be a more significant problem, again I tried the rest button on the water heater--No power. That's when I opened the bottom area to look at the thermostat...low and behold I found this unit shorted-out and black burn spots surrounded by some water condensed around it...but no apparent true leaks discovered. I purchased from Home Depot A CAMCO "Plumber's Pack" Water Heater Repair Kit along with an Element wrench. The Owner's manual that came with the water heater has a wiring diagram that's too small to figure out. Is it possible to get an enlarged picture of this diagram? At least I can attempt to see if replacing the thermostats and elements might fix my problem. Thanks...XXX XXXXX ([email protected])
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! Hello, Bob. I understand you have some concerns about wiring in a new element. They are really quite simple. There are 2 leads going to the elements, both of which are hot, 240 volts. Really, you just need to use the same two leads you pulled off the old element.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That I can see, Tim. My problem has more to do with wiring the thermostats correctly. As mentioned originally, the wiring schematic in my water heater manual is so small it's nearly impossible to discern where each lead goes where--the CAMCO kit appears to show a slightly different linkage, but if the Owner Manual's diagram were enlarged I could be more assured I'm doing the re-wiring right.

Thanks.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
You will have 2 leads coming into your high limit (the top piece of the combination limit/thermostat). Then one lead will continue down to the element. The other lead will go from the high limit (out) to the thermostat (in) and then out again to the other side of the element.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Here is a good example of how an electric hot water heater is wired. Although it's for an A.O.Smith unit, it is typical of most units. Use the center diagram (labeled A6) for a single high limit and upper and lower elements.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Tim! My water heater thermostats look like those on page one, A-6. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks again! XXXXX
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know how things work out!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Did you need additional help? I noticed you haven't hit the accept button yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got the thermostats out, Tim. Then my wife had to go to the hospital, so I won't be able to finish the job till tomorrow.

Also, when I removed the plastic protector from the bottom element/thermostat I could see that the element itself shorted out and fried.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX getting back soon.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
No problem. Hope your wife is OK....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great help, Tim! In fact everything's worked out super!!! Absolutely NO complaints; will certainly use this service again...if and when needed.

Bob

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Great! Glad to hear that, Bob. Hope your wife's OK and thanks for using Just Answer.