Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
27654466

Goodman heat pump not shutting after reaching desired temperature

star-full

Goodman heat pump does not click off when thermostat reaches desired temp. I have an Amana model #  ASZC16 heat pump and a Honeywell programmable thermostat. I have it set for 69 at night and 67 during the day. The temp stays constant at night at 69 but the air keeps pumping out. Then when it resets in the morning to 67 degrees, as soon as the inside temp reaches 67 degrees, it clicks back on until the temp rises above 67. Do I have a bad thermostat or is this normal?

Bart Jay :

Sounds like it is working correctly. You say when it hits 67 it comes back on, as it should. You say the fan switch is set to auto correct? If it is in the ON position the indoor fan will always run

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

Yes, the fan switch is set to auto. I guess I'm wondering how energy efficient this unit is when it blows air all night. Shouldn't the blower stop blowing air when the temp I have set it for is reached? Seems to me once it reaches the desired temp it continues to cycle air all night, the temp stays constant but its always running using my electricity. I have a furnace on the first level of my home and when the temp reaches what I have it set for it stops running for a while until it starts to cool down. Shouldn't the same happen with a heat pump system?

Bart Jay :

Yes the fan and system should shut off it the temperature gets above the setting of 69. Does the temperature get higher than 69

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

The temp never gets higher than 69 so it just keeps running.

I thought once it hits my desired temp it would shut down until it falls below it again

Bart Jay :

Could the unit be too small for the space and it has to keep running to maintain the temperature

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

That is a good question, its a nice size home so I just assumed what the sales person offered matched what I would need for the house. Its a 16SEER Amana ASZC16. Looks like a fairly large unit. What's the unit called in the attic? Is that the blower?

Bart Jay :

In the attic is the sir handler which has the blower in it

Why did you replace it three times?

Does it cool the house okay in summer

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

The first unit failed because the compressor went bad within a year. The second unit just kept failing. The T-valve? Went back, the refrigerant got contaminated and the unit was blowing cool air in winter and not enough cool air upstairs. The temp would climb to 95 degrees with the unit running full blast. Then it failed 3 times this winter for various reasons. Amana guy came to check it out and he said the whole thing needed to be replaced again. Its been a nightmare. So I got another unit installed this week. 3 units in 3 years

Bart Jay :

Something is not right

Either it is not piped correctly or maybe undersized.

It only does the upstairs?

Do you know the full model number and what is the square footage

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

I can't agree with you more, the only saving grace is I haven't had to pay for the new units or all of the repairs. Yes, the HP is only for the 2nd level of my home where I have 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms

Its about 1500 square feet upstairs with a big 2 storey entry foyer. I'll have to get the full model number tonight when I get home. But if I understand as long as the temp is at where I set it then the air handler will keep running? Is it possible I have a bad thermostat? Its a Honeywell programmable unit

Bart Jay :

If the temperature does not get ABOVE 69 then the fan and system will continue to run

Try this whole - while it is running and set for 69, lower it to 68 then 67 and see if everything shuts down. It should and if it does the thermostat is working correctly

Let me know tomorrow and get the full model number. Should be numbers after the aszc16
JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

I did that and it does shut down. Do you know the air temp that it should be blowing on average. Sometimes it feels like cool air is coming out of the vents and then it gets warm and cools again

Bart Jay :

Hard to say. 90-100 is all a heat will generate. Do you have an emergency heat selection on the thermostat

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

I do have an emergency heat setting and when I used it the last 3 weeks, because I was told not to use the heat pump, it was clicking on and off all day and night.

Bart Jay :

So the electric heat would keep the space warm and satisfy the thermostat, correct?

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

That is correct...

Bart Jay :

Was the indoor unit replaced 3 years ago also

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

Yes it was. I guess I was expecting the heat pump to act the same way in that it would shut off every once in a while.

Bart Jay :

Get me the model numbers of both indoor and outdoor units

JACUSTOMER-xu48wmgn- :

OK

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model number of my unit is ASCZ160241AC and it reads AMANA on the side. I noticed last night that the fan wasn't running outside but inside it was blowing air and the thermostat read Heat On. I thought if the thermostat read Heat On the fan outside should have been also running. I checked it this morning and it was.

It is possible that you caught it during a defrost cycle. The outdoor fan will shut off during defrost.

Did you get the indoor numbers?

Where do you live?

Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For three years I've been having all this trouble and now the crew realized that my dampers we closed in the attic was creating all this back pressure. The new unit they just installed works great now and my vents don't whistle with air flow any more. Thanks for your help. Not sure if it was the dampers causing all of the problems but I'm sure it couldn't be helping.