Bart Jay
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
27654466

Goodman heat pump does not click off when thermostat reaches

Goodman heat pump does not click off when thermostat reaches desired temp. I have an Amana model # XXXXX heat pump and a Honeywell programmable thermostat. I have it set for 69 at night and 67 during the day. The temp stays constant at night at 69 but the air keeps pumping out then when it resets in the morning to 67 degrees as soon as the inside temp reaches 67 degrees it clicks back on until the temp rises above 67. Do I have a bad thermostat or is this normal?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.

Bart Jay :

Sounds like it is working correctly. You say when it hits 67 it comes back on, as it should. You fan th fan switch set to auto correct? If it is in the ON postion the indoor fan will always run

Customer:

Yes, the fan switch is set to auto. I guess I'm wondering how energy efficient this unit is when it blows air all night. Shouldn't the blower stop blowing air when the temp I have it set for is reached? Seems to me once it reaches the desired temp it continues to cycle air all night, the temp stays constant but its always running using my electricity. I have a furnace on the first level of my home and when the temp reaches what I have it set for it stops running for a while until it starts to cool down. Shouldn't the same happen with a heat pump system?

Bart Jay :

Yes the fan and system should shut off it the temperture gets above the setting of 69

Bart Jay :

Does the temperture get higher then69

Customer:

The temp never gets higher than 69 so it just keeps running.

Customer:

I thought once it hits my desired temp it would shut down until it falls below it again

Bart Jay :

could the unit be too samll for the space and it has to keep running to maintian the temperture

Customer:

Thats a good question, its a nice size home so I just assumed what the sales person offered matched what I would need for the house. Its a 16SEER Amana ASZC16. Looks like a fairly large unit. What's the unit called in the attic? Is that the blower?

Bart Jay :

In the attic is the sir hanlder which has the blwoer in it

Bart Jay :

why did you repalce it three times?

Bart Jay :

does it cool off the hosue okay in the summer

Bart Jay :

sorry air handler

Customer:

The first unit failed because the compressor went bad within a year, the second unit just kept failing. The T-valve? went back, the refrigerant got contaminated and the unit was blowing cool air in the winter and not enough cool air upstairs. The temp would climb to 95 degrees with the unit running full blast. Then it failed 3 times this winter for variuos reasons, had the Amana guy come out to check it out and he said the whole thing needed to be replaced again. Its been a nightmare. So I got another unit installed this week. 3 units in 3 years

Bart Jay :

Something is not right

Bart Jay :

Either it is not piped correctly or maybe undersized.

Bart Jay :

it only does the upstairs?

Bart Jay :

Do you know the full model number and what is the square footage

Customer:

I can't agree with you more, the only saving grace is I haven't had to pay for the new units or all of the repairs. Yes, the HP is only for the 2nd level of my home where I have 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms

Customer:

Its about 1500 square feet upstairs with a big 2 story entry foyer. I'll have to get the full model number tonight when I get home. But if I understand as long as the temp is at where I set it then the air handler will keep running? Is it possible I have a bad stat? Its a honerwell programable unit

Bart Jay :

If the temperture does not get ABOVE 69 then the fan and sytem will continue to run

Bart Jay :

Try this whole it is running and set for 69 lower it to 68 then 67 see if everything shuts down. It should and if it does the stat is working correctly

Bart Jay :

while

Bart Jay :

let me know tommorrow and get the full modle numer should be bumers adfter the aszc16

Customer:

I did that and it does shut down, do you know the air temp that it should be blowing an average. Sometimes it feels like cool air is coming out of the vents and then it gets warm and cools again

Bart Jay :

hard to say 90-100 is all a heat will generate do you have and emegency heat selection on the thermostat

Customer:

I do have an emergency heat setting and when I used it the last 3 weeks because I was told not to use the heat pump it was clicking on and off all day and night.

Bart Jay :

So the electric heat would keep the space warm and satisfy the thermsotat? correct

Customer:

That is correct...

Bart Jay :

was the indorr unit repalced 3 years ago also

Customer:

Yes it was, I guess I was expecting the Heat Pump to act the same way in that it would shut off every once in a while.

Bart Jay :

Get me modle numbers of both indoor and outdoor unit

Bart Jay :

get reply to this

Customer:

OK

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bart
The model number of my unit is ASCZ160241AC and it reads AMANA on the side. I noticed last night that the fan wasn't running outside but inside it was blowing air and the stat read Heat On. I thought if the stat read Heat On the fan outside should have been also running. I checked it this morning and it was.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.

It is possible that you caught it during a defrost cycle. The outdorr fan will shut off during defrost

Did you get the indoor numbers

Where do you live

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.
How are we doing with this
Bart Jay, HVAC Technician
Experience: 35 years in HVAC. NATE Certified EPA certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bart,
For three years I've been having all this trouble and now the crew realized that my dampers we closed in the attic and was creating all this back pressure. The new unit they just installed works great now and my vents don't whistle with air flow anymore. Thanks for your help. Not sure if it was the dampers causing all of the problems but I'm sure it couldn't be helping.