tadowhere
tadowhere, Handyman
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in HVAC
65180200

my honeywell thermostat has a symbol on the screen, it shows

Customer Question

my honeywell thermostat has a symbol on the screen, it shows the temeprature of the room,etc. the fan works,but there is no heat coming on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  tadowhere replied 2 years ago.

tadowhere :

Hello my name is Ted i'm going to help you out today

tadowhere :

when you say symbol on the screen can you describe it?

tadowhere :

What type of system do you have? heat pump, boiler, furnace etc?

Customer :

it appears to be an oval shape, setting on one of the small edges, with a black top on the other small edge, which makes it appear to be a bottle or bottle

tadowhere :

ok have you replaced the batteries?

Customer :

it is a furnace

tadowhere :

ok

Customer :

no

tadowhere :

here's what were going to do, I want you to turn the power to the furnace off and will need to take thermostat off the wall

tadowhere :

but your not seeing a batterty indicator? correct?

Customer :

ok this wll take a minute.

tadowhere :

ok i'm here no worries

Customer :

when I try to turn up the heat, the symbol appearl. I have tried turning it just to fan, and the fan works, on when turned back to auto it responds for a few seconds, and them turns off

tadowhere :

ok well what were going to do is bypass the thermostat to see if it's the problem or not so once you have the power off and get thermostat off the wall I will shouw you how to bypass it to see if we can get the furnace running

Customer :

ok the thermostat is off and the dust has settled

tadowhere :

ok now you will see the thermostat wires. I need you to take the wire that's on the R terminal (usually a red wire) and the wire that's on the W terminal (usually white) and tie these together

tadowhere :

just make sure power to furnace is off before starting this

tadowhere :

then once you have these wires together making sure they are not touching any other wires/metal you can turn the furnace back on and let it run and see if the heat comes on.

Customer :

would i need to turn off the power at the breaker box

tadowhere :

yes or if you have a switch at the furnace itself (usually looks light a light switch)

Customer :

Thank you. I am eree by myself right now, and this is a large house, causing running up and down the steps and all over, the lap top is with the others, Do you you have any other instrutions, I ca ndo this,it is just susch a run up an ddown to the tower computer just now i thank you you appear to be a patient person!

tadowhere :

No problem no rush. Like I said once power is off and you have the R and W tied together you can turn power back on and we'll see what happens. If the thermostat is the issue the heal will go on.

tadowhere :

If you system heats up after doing the above then your going to need to go buy another thermostat, remember if you replace the thermostat to have the power turned off while doing so.

tadowhere :

Please remember if I have helped you out today to hit the green accept button and leave feedback. Thanks