M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

I have a Trane XV80, the red light is blinking.... twice then

I have a Trane XV80, the red light is blinking.... twice then a pause. Thermostat is calling for heat but I am getting nothing - the air that is always running is still running but the furnace is not kicking in for the heat. Can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 2 years ago.

M Oglesby :

One moment while I look up the 2 flash led code for your furnace.

Customer:

Ok thanks

M Oglesby :

The 2 flash led means Lockout ignition retries exceeded.

M Oglesby :

This means that your furnace is failing to ignite.

Customer:

Could this have something to do with the thermostat?

M Oglesby :

Go to the furnace and cut the power off then back on again. While the furnace is starting, observe the ignition process and tell me how far your furnace is getting before it fails

M Oglesby :

Let me know if the burners are lighting or not.

Customer:

Do I have to take the panel off - my hubby is sleeping so you're dealing with a woman here but I'm pretty handy. I"m going to the furnace now - hang on

M Oglesby :

It would be best to remove the front or top panel.

Customer:

ok looks like I have heat now but now the red light is flashing constantly with no pause??

Customer:

????

M Oglesby :

The constant red light flashing is normal.

M Oglesby :

It sounds like you are having a flame sensor issue. The flame sensor rod is a small thin steel rod that is straight or L shaped and is usually located near the igniter or in the path of the burners.

M Oglesby :

Locate it, remove it, and clean it with a piece of emery cloth or sandpaper very good.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this service. thanks!

Customer:

What exactly does "Lockout ignition retries" mean - could it be from someone fiddling around with the thermostat, trying to put the unit on "hold"

M Oglesby :

No. It has nothing to do with the thermostat.

Customer:

ok I will get hubby to clean the flame sensor rod and then hit accept if that works or is that a preventative thing... maintenance thing?

M Oglesby :

It means that your thermostat called for heat and the furnace attempted to come on but it failed to do so. After the furnace tries 3 times to ignite and fails, the furnace goes into lockout.

Customer:

oh ok that makes sene

Customer:

sense

M Oglesby :

cleaning the flame sensor is a maintenance procedure.

M Oglesby :

It should be done at least every couple of years.

Customer:

one more question.... have you ever heard of a build up of a white crystal type substance in the air pipe?

M Oglesby :

No

M Oglesby :

Is the furnace still running?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it was working this morning and then was only not working for about an hour or so - when I went to it to take the panel off - it had kicked in

Customer:

and the red light was flashing constantly as opposed to the two flashes and a pause

M Oglesby :

When is the last time you changed the filter?

Customer:

Hubby just cleaned the filter about two weeks ago but we have never bought new ones - just cleaned the ones that came with it

M Oglesby :

As long as they are clean that is ok.

Customer:

never had a problem with this furnace but have done nothing to it except clean the filters and it's now about 3 years old

M Oglesby :

I also advise you to have the substance cleaned out of the air pipes. Whatever it is.

M Oglesby :

Do you have any more questions for me?

Customer:

Not right now - thanks.

M Oglesby :

ok. After hitting ACCEPT you can access this link thread for up to 30 days.

M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience: Universally Certified HVACR Technician