Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Ruud achiever 90 + not turning on - removed the lower panel

Ruud achiever 90 + not turning on - removed the lower panel - pressed the spring loaded "button" - 2green light stay on but the third light (furthest to the left) does not light up?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 years ago.

airheatman :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX do my best to answer your question.Remember, you are not charged and I am not paid until you accept my answer.

airheatman :

Look in the burner(top) compartment and give me the model number, it will be something like RGPN07EAUER

Customer:

hello Tim

airheatman :

Good afternoon

Customer:

have to go to the basement - hold on

airheatman :

OK

Customer:

VR8205H 8016

airheatman :

THat is the gas valve

airheatman :

It will be on a lable on right or left side of cabinet Will be like RGPN07EAUER or UGPN07EAUR or similar

Full Size Image

Customer:

model ugra-12erajs series ej5d70f310203960

airheatman :

OK, let me get a manual

airheatman :

Looks like it was built in 02

Customer:

excellent

Customer:

yup

airheatman :

OK got the manual

airheatman :

Now, if you turn thermost to heat does ANYTHING come on?

Customer:

nada

airheatman :

Do you have central AC?

Customer:

yup

airheatman :

Great, If you turn fan to FAN /ON, will blower come on?

Customer:

tried that earlier - fan turned on for 2 seconds then turned off - just tried it again and nada

airheatman :

HMM

airheatman :

Do you still have bottom panel off?

Customer:

!@#!!! - will go put it back on - one minute

airheatman :

lol

Customer:

getting a hell of a workout running up and down the stairs.... green light farthest to the right solid - next one over to the left blinking 4 x's, third light not illuminated

Customer:

fan still not turning on

airheatman :

OK

airheatman :

If I have the correct manual, this indicates the pressure switch is stuck closed

Customer:

easy fix?

airheatman :

Locate the inducer motor

Full Size Image

airheatman :

Then coming from the motor(may be black instead of silver), there is a prncil sixed rubber tube attaching to a pressure switch

Full Size Image

airheatman :

Hose id probably orange , about the diametr of a pencil

Customer:

prncil sixed?

airheatman :

sorry typing too fast

airheatman :

pencil sized diameter

Customer:

got it

airheatman :

Do you see it?

Customer:

took a pix with my digital camera so i didnt hve to keep running the stairs... I see it

Customer:

its orange

airheatman :

Great

Customer:

now what

airheatman :

Now remove the hose from the inducer fan, suck and blow on the hose(still attached to pressure switch) and listen for pressure switch to click open and closed.Then remove hose from pressure switch also,Blow through the hose and make sure it is clean.Take a straightened paper clip and clean the fittings on the inducer and pressure switch to make sure no rust or particles are blocking the vacuum.

Customer:

one moment please

airheatman :

ok

Customer:

Tim - U-da-man!!!

airheatman :

Have you already tried the furnace and did this correct the issue

Customer:

I've go heat!!

airheatman :

Great

Customer:

...got heat

airheatman :

If I have helped. please leave positive feedback

Customer:

it did not appear to have any blockage when I blew - is it that sensitive to particles??

airheatman :

It is not unusual for small particles to get in the inducor from gas burnoff or rust and eventually clog the little fittings or hose

Customer:

is it really worth it buying the expensive filters?

airheatman :

Inducor pulls a vaccum on the switvh closing it.It is not real strong, so it doesnt take much of a restriction to vary the vaccum force

airheatman :

That is a seperate question

airheatman :

(LOL). Just kidding with you. I recommend the pleated filters

Customer:

very funny tim - r those the $5 10 or $15???

airheatman :

LOwes sells a good 3M for around 10 bucks

Customer:

10-4 - will leave positive feedback - Cheers!

airheatman :

Thanks again for allowing me to make your furnace happy.

Full Size Image

Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.