Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

my utica boiler does not light up. the pilot is on, but I think

my utica boiler does not light up. the pilot is on, but I think the water level is too high. I drained it in the back and the automotic water sensor still fill the tank. Thus, I just the valve for the water fill and drained again, however, the water glass gauge doesn't lower to the recommended height. Therefore, I think the boiler won't light because of the water gauge being full, but now I don't know what to do next.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you with your problem

Rickheatdoc :

Too much water in the boiler won't stop it from lighting but it may stop it from heating your house

Rickheatdoc :

First you need to drain some water out of the boiler to lower the water level to 1/2 to 2/3's of the glass

Customer:

when i do that will that level in the glass gauge go down?

Customer:

i am sorry

Customer:

i see that you do say that

Customer:

just so you know i drained it an hour ago, but the level in the glass didn't change

Rickheatdoc :

you need to keep draining it

Customer:

ok. i will shut the automatic water feed and start draining.

Rickheatdoc :

It's possible that if there is way too much water in the system it could stop the burner from lighting by putting pressure on the pressure control

Rickheatdoc :

It can take a long time to drain it if there is way too much water

Rickheatdoc :

you should be draining from the hose faucet at the base of the boiler

Customer:

i think that is the case, but when i drained, All the water was out, but that water gauge didn't move (still at full) so I stopped. My only way to drain is to put it in a bucket. the boilder is in the basement and I have no water drain in this 1940 built house.

Customer:

I have two buckets now and I am draining.

Rickheatdoc :

You need to be sure the valves at the top and bottom of the glass are wide open

Rickheatdoc :

and you should drain it from the hose faucet at the bottom of the boiler not the low water cut off

Customer:

I will check the glass valves now.

Rickheatdoc :

ok

Customer:

glass valve is wide open. based on lefty loosy... the drain on the boiler is the lowest so I think I am doing this right.

Rickheatdoc :

if both valves are open (counter clockwise is open) and the glass still looks full then you have some draining to do

Customer:

I thinks something just changed. the glass gauge now emptied. I think something was stuck, but it is completely emptied and the water is still coming out. can i stop now.

Rickheatdoc :

stop if the glass is empty

Customer:

ok.

Rickheatdoc :

turn the water feed back on and watch the water level

Customer:

ok

Rickheatdoc :

let me know if the burner starts when the water level comes back up

Customer:

water set at right height. nothing firing up

Rickheatdoc :

pilot is lit?

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

Is there a motorized vent damper on the flue?

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

is it open?

Customer:

chekcing

Rickheatdoc :

ok

Customer:

closed

Rickheatdoc :

can you see where the thermostat wire connects to the boiler?

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

I'm assuming the power is on to the boiler

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

jump the 2 terminals that the thermostat wire is connected to and tell me what happens

Customer:

"jump the 2 terminals?"

Rickheatdoc :

take a small piece of wire and run it between the 2 terminals where the themostat connects to the boiler. The idea is to bypass the thermostat and the thermostat wiring

Customer:

ok. let me see how i can do that.

Rickheatdoc :

some older models

Rickheatdoc :

have the thermostat leads connected at the pressuretrol (pressure control) if this is what you have then just connect the 2 leads together that the thermostat wires connect to

Customer:

i connected the two wires bypassing the thermastat. nothing fired up.

Rickheatdoc :

the first thing that should happen is the damper should open

Customer:

ok checking

Rickheatdoc :

what type of LWCO (low water cut off) do you have? does it look like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

closed, nothing moved

Customer:

mcdonnell 24 v.a.c.

Rickheatdoc :

does it look like the above

Rickheatdoc :

or is it just a control box mounted on the side of the boiler?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Rickheatdoc :

ok, then the most likely culprits are a faulty LWCO or a faulty vent damper

Rickheatdoc :

looks like you may have a reset button on your LWCO

Rickheatdoc :

try pushing the red button

Customer:

i have. will do again.

Customer:

nothing

Rickheatdoc :

those are the 2 most likely culprits

Customer:

ok. thanks for the help though.

Rickheatdoc :

You're welcome

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.