Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

my luxaire furnace is set to heat, but blowing cold air and

Customer Question

my luxaire furnace is set to heat, but blowing cold air and the red blinking light blinks 7 times. i have no idea what any of this means
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.

gotoman for ac :

Turn power off to furnace and wait 30 seconds and turn back on retry furnace. let me know if it goes thru sequence of operation. Small fan start for 15 to 20 seconds ,igniter glows for 10 seconds and burner lites. Russ

Customer :

ok. trying now

gotoman for ac :

7 flashes is the flanes was not senses. Will try to relite and go inot one hour lockout. Russ

gotoman for ac :

Sorry flame not sensed. Russ

Customer :

what does that mean exactly?

Customer :

still blinking 7 times. does that mean I need a new element

Customer :

or is my furnace completely shot

gotoman for ac :

The furnaces tries to lite and the flame sensor does not sense a flame. If you look at burners you will see a small sensor inserted into burner. It is a very thick wire and has one lead attached. This is sensor. Remove sensor clean with sand paper and reinstall. Retry furnace. This is a common problem. The sensor gets corroded and will not sense flame. Russ

gotoman for ac :

No try to clean sensor first. Russ

Customer :

I dont know where to look for the sensor7

gotoman for ac :

If you look at burners it will be on left side. You will see one wire attached to spade terminal.

Customer :

nothing on the left. on the right there are 2 wires, 1 on top, 1 on bottom

Customer :

now light is blinking 5 times

gotoman for ac :

Give me a moment to check code.

gotoman for ac :

That is rollout switch open .. Look on top of burner for a small disk about size of quarter. It will have reset this button. Reset and retry furnace.

gotoman for ac :

I have to leave so I will opt out for another expert. He will need model number of furnace. Russ

Customer :

ok. there is no small disk. model number:G9T06010UPB13C

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

is this furnace at the supplied link your unit?

http://www.master.ca/documents/G9T-UPRepairsParts-0204.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know anything about furnaces

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

I was showing you a picture of where all parts are to assist you. I will not ask you to do anything involved.

Did you click the link?

Item 6 is what we are looking for...just a tiny button to press for elimination...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i pressed the button
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
thank you,

now what is code?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry for the delay, just giving it a minute. its back to flashing 7 times
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

Now this part is just observation. Turn power off and back on.
Watch the sequence. I need to know if you see a glow in the flame box or if flame appears briefly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No flame
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.

It appears we are having an issue with the ignition. This could be a cracked ignitor.

Unfortunately if not familiar with this type of repair it is best left for a service technician.

But it appears to be a bad ignitor.

Billy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would that also explain why the code light is back aty flashing 5 times?
Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
You would have to have flame for 5 to appear. That means there was flame present and it tripped a heat sensor. Are you positive no flame was present?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would i see flame where the little window is in the burner unit?

Expert:  Billy replied 2 years ago.
Yes....the flame would be visable through the window.

did the code change back when you pressed the tiny button?