BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My Luxaire furnace is blowing cold air with 7 red flashes on it.

My Luxaire furnace is set to heat but it is blowing cold air and the red blinking light blinks for 7 times. I have no idea as to what any of this means?

Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 years ago.
gotoman for ac :

Turn the power off to furnace and wait for 30 seconds. Then, turn back on to retry the furnace. Let me know if it goes through a sequence of operation. The small fan starts for 15 to 20 seconds, the igniter glows for 10 seconds and the burner lights up.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

okay, trying now.

gotoman for ac :

7 flashes mean the flames were not sensed. Will try to relight and go into one hour lockout.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

What does that mean exactly?

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

Still blinking 7 times. Does that mean I need a new element? Or is my furnace completely shot?

gotoman for ac :

The furnaces tries to light up but the flame sensor does not sense a flame. If you look at burners you will see a small sensor inserted into the burner. It is a very thick wire and has one lead attached. This is the sensor. Remove the sensor, clean it with sand paper and reinstall. Retry the furnace. This is a common problem. The sensor gets corroded and will not sense flame.

No try to clean the sensor first.
JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

I dont know where to look for the sensor?

gotoman for ac :

If you look at the burners, it will be on the left side. You will see one wire attached to the spade terminal.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

There is nothing on the left. On the right, there are 2 wires, 1 on top and 1 at the bottom. Now the light is blinking 5 times.

gotoman for ac :

Give me a moment to check the code.

That is roll-out switch open. Look on top of the burner for a small disk about size of a quarter. It will have a reset button. Reset and retry the furnace.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

There is no small disk. However, I am giving the model number, in case it helps. The model number is G9T06010UPB13C.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

Is this furnace at the supplied link your unit?

http://www.master.ca/documents/G9T-UPRepairsParts-0204.pdf

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know anything about furnaces.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

I understand.

I was showing you a picture of where all the parts are to assist you. I will not ask you to do anything involved.

Did you click the link?

Item 6 is what we are looking for; just a tiny button to press for elimination.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I pressed the button.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!

Now, what is the code?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, just giving it a minute. Well it's back to flashing 7 times.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

Now this part is just observation. Turn the power off and back on.
Watch the sequence. I need to know if you see a glow in the flame box or if the flame appears briefly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No flame
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

It appears we are having an issue with the ignition. This could be a cracked ignitor.

Unfortunately if not familiar with this type of repair it is best left for a service technician.

But it appears to be a bad ignitor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would that also explain, why the code light is back at flashing 5 times?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

You would have to have flame for 5 to appear. That means there was flame present and it tripped a heat sensor. Are you positive that no flame was present?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would I see flame where the little window is in the burner unit?

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 years ago.

Yes....the flame would be visible through the window.

Did the code change back when you pressed the tiny button?