HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Lennox whisperheat furnace Model G20RQ3E-75-5. I

I have a Lennox whisperheat furnace Model G20RQ3E-75-5. I was just told that I have a crack in my heat exchange. They told me they cant get parts for my unit as its too old. Lennox website has replacement parts. They want to put in a new furnace (G40....dont know manuf) for 1450.00. I think this may be an inferior furnace but am not sure how to go about getting other quotes. I know Natural Gas company also has programs to help a homeowner. Do you have any advice?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.

HVAC Guru :

hello

Customer:

hello guru... help plz!

HVAC Guru :

I see your issue.. If the Lennox has a crack in the heat exchanger junk it.... Do not get another Lennox..

HVAC Guru :

The cost of the heat exchanger replacement is too much

HVAC Guru :

You don't know what brand they quoted you on?

Customer:

Do you know anything about my current model? Its been running great since I bought the house 13 years ago

HVAC Guru :

I had your same model in my house...had a split in the heatexchanger.. Did you see your crack?

Customer:

I should call them and ask, all he said was a G40 installed for 1450.00 Thats cheaper than the Lennox the previous owners put in 15 years ago

HVAC Guru :

Furnaces now are cheap...Get a Goodman you can't beat them for the money. The cost of the furnace itself is roughly $650-800 depending on model...then its just labor to install.

Customer:

No, he took a picture on his phone but I couldnt see what he was talking about thru my tears lol. He said there is rust on the crack which indicates that its been there a while but when I asked him why his company didnt see it earlier he had no answer.... They have been out three times in the last two years (once for dirty filters, once for faulty relay, once for dirty injector)

HVAC Guru :

That is about average for that furnace 13yrs really is not that bad. You should get it taken care of as soon as possible. You should be able to get a Goodman put in for $1000-1200 depending on how much plenum work is needed.

Customer:

He also worried me because he said when one has a crack in their heat exchange it releases carbon monoxide into the home. He said that installation would be easy as its all easily accessable.

HVAC Guru :

Yes that is true, but mine was bad for almost a year(shame on me)...I will tell you to get it fixed as soon as possible and make sure you have CO detectors. It typically takes a very large crack to pose great risk...but you do not want to take any chances.

Customer:

True, now that I know I just purchased a carbon monoxide detector. So you recommend that I look into purchasing a Goodman? Any specific models? I am a single woman running a small bookkeeping company and have my son still in high school and grandson living in the home....I just can not afford this and want to make a good decision.

HVAC Guru :

Does your furnace have two white PVC pipes coming out of it?

Customer:

No only one, why?

HVAC Guru :

That's fine this unit will save you some more money. Go to this link

HVAC Guru :

Great warranty and the unit is only 508 dollars

HVAC Guru :

You should be able to get a unit like that installed for under $1000

HVAC Guru :

I put a Goodman in my house this year and I still think they are offering the tax credit let me check

HVAC Guru :

You could get it but you have to get a 95% effcient unit... I still think the 80% units have less issues in the long run

Customer:

Thank you so much oh wise one, ever since my dad passed I dont have a knowledgable man to ask these questions to. How do I find the proper company to install? I have been using the same repair company since I bought the home, the previous owners used them and they installed the gas furnace.

Customer:

I will keep that in mind, I want something that will give me long use with minimal repair cost..... like my Lennox lol

HVAC Guru :

Go to Angie's list and there you will find good reputable repair company's such as myself:) ...., Angie's list has the customers pay for reviews so the reviews are a lot more accurate than you are going to get anywhere else. Go look there that is about the best place to find a great company and not get scammed. Pretty much for a unit like that you should be around(NNN) NNN-NNNNinstalled. That is a great unit, parts are readily available and it is very simple not too much to go wrong.. The last thing I want to do is fix my own stuff that is why I put one in.

Customer:

If you were in my area I would hire you. Thank you so much...if its good enough for you then I am definately checking into it.
What model Goodman did you install? Did you go for the 80% efficiency?

HVAC Guru :

Yes, I installed the 80% unit it is great

Customer:

Thank you for your time One more question then I'll quite bothering you.... how do I print out our question and answer session?

Customer:

quit .... oops

HVAC Guru :

You can print it from the Q and A.......section...I will switch to that....Just click Accept before leaving

HVAC Guru :

It was great talking with you

HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience: 15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 years ago.
Good luck!