Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Gas fired boiler. Can I turn off my hot water without

I have a Gas fired boiler. Can I turn off my hot water without affecting it?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.

Phil :

All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU NEED, I come and go. This is step ONE.

Phil :

Hello

Phil :

You can shut the hot water taps off without a problem.... but if the boiler is in a location that gets below freezing you must drain the water out of it if you are going to shut it down so it doesnt freeze the tubes inside the boiler

Phil :

Let me know if I am understanding what you have in mind or not

Phil :

Phil

Customer:

Hi Phil,

Phil :

Hi

Phil :

tell me what you are trying to do

Customer:

I have a hot water tap that is running. It was a trickle and now it's getting worse. I have someone coming to fix it on Monday. I wanted to know if I could turn off my hot water without hurting the furnace. I plan to leave the cold water on. I didn't know if the hot water or the cold water supplied the furnace.

Phil :

you can shut it off at the valve under the sink

Customer:

This one doesn't have a shut off valve

Phil :

just leave the boiler running as it is

Customer:

Does that mean I need to keep the hot water on?

Phil :

you can shut the hot water off where it leaves the boiler.

Customer:

My boiler is working fine. It's a sink in the bathroom that is running.

Phil :

leave the boiler on, it has its own temperature and safety controls

Phil :

but keep an eye on it to make sure it operates as usual

Phil :

that way it will not freeze over night

Customer:

Ok. But, the running faucet is getting worse. If I turn off the hot water to the house, does that stop the boiler from working?

Phil :

do not turn off any water to the house

Customer:

Thank you.

Phil :

just shut the hot water valve off where the hot water pipe leaves the boiler

Customer:

My boiler doesn't supply the hot water. I have an electric hot water heater.

Phil :

then leave the boiler alone

Phil :

and shut the hot water valve on top of the hot water heater

Phil :

how cold will it get tonight

Customer:

Will that stop the hot water from running through the taps. Or will it just run cold water then? I live in New Hampshire. It'll be in the low 20's tonight

Phil :

it will stop the hot water from running through the taps

Phil :

the cold water will not be affected

Customer:

Will my hot water heater be ok?

Phil :

Your pipes must be insulated, or they would have frozen in cold weather

Phil :

the water heater will stay hot

Customer:

Great!

Phil :

its not affected by shutting off the hot water outlet valve

Customer:

Then that's what I'll do. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Phil :

if you click the big green accept button you can follow up a day or months later on the same dime

Phil :

Thanks!

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial