Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience:  Retired But have had 30 years on the tools, Ex CORGI

I have a Worcester 28si combined boiler and cannot get it to

Customer Question

I have a Worcester 28si combined boiler and cannot get it to fie up. Any tips on how to do this? I've topped up the pressure to 1.5 bars.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber,is this a Si II if so do you have a flashing light, Rick
Rick Ridley, UK Heating Engineer
Experience: Retired But have had 30 years on the tools, Ex CORGI
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rick, You've given me a question but not an answer. I have a Worcester 281 not a II. There is a flashing red light. What should I do?
OK we need to establish exactly which boiler you have a 28Si or a 28Si II as they are different, the most reliable way is to look at the Gas Council number it is in the format ?? ??? ?? Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rick, It is a 28si. I can not find the Gas Council number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rick, It is a 28si. I can not find the Gas Council number. There are 2 red lights. One under a symbol with 4 vertical lines. The next red light is under the tap symbol. Does that information help?
OK is the flashing light RED CH demand? if no other lights on or flashing, then this is ignition lock out, does the boiler light but not continue or does it not light at all, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The flashing red light is only under the tap sign. The flame sign next to it shows no light at all. I have switched off the system and it comes back on as if it is firing but does not continue.
OK if the red light under the HW sign is flashing this indicates a fan problem, does the fan run? Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you check if the fan is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
you should be able to hear the fan, from start up it is the first item to run, if you are on the ground floor then go outside ans again you will be able to hear the fan from the flue outlet, if the fan is running then the air pressure switch that detects the fan is the most likely point of failure, if the fan is not running then this is the most likely point of failure, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fan is running. Can I do anything to check the pressure switch?
only if you have a multimeter, but you can remove the casing and check that the rubber pipes are connected and in good order, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the casing secured by screws or does it lift off?

one or two screws at the bottom and top lifts off from memory, but memory dims with age, Rick