M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Universally Certified HVACR Technician
27079509

I want to reset my White Rodgers thermostat and start from

Customer Question

I want to reset my White Rodgers thermostat and start from scratch. (Model 1F90W-51) I read the manual and cut the power to the unit and then took out the batteries for 5-10 minutes (manual said 1 minute) but then when I flilpped the fuse it still has my old defunt programing. For some reason it's not holding the time and no matter how many times I set the program to 70 degrees 24/7 it somehow is going to 64 degrees in the eve / night. There is also a hold that keep popping up and overriding my program. I live with my grandma and it get's so cold in here.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  M Oglesby replied 2 years ago.

M Oglesby :

The reason the thermostat is going to 64 in the evening is because it is programmed to do so.

M Oglesby :

You will have to go in and change the set temperature for all of the times.

Customer :

I do that but my progam I am setting is not sticking even though I'm clicking "run program" after setting it as I wish it to be.

M Oglesby :

You hit the program or set button; A time should come up along with a temp. use the arrow to set the temp to 70; Then hit the program button again. another time will come up along with a temp. set the temp to 70; Repeat this process until you have all of the times and temps changed to 70

M Oglesby :

Are you changing all of the times?

Customer :

Can you call me?

M Oglesby :

It is not permitted by site regulations.

Customer :

Yes. I am updating everything that is not as I want it.

Customer :

Some I'm not changing because it is correct

M Oglesby :

If it is not holding the program that you set, then this thermostat is damaged.

M Oglesby :

You will have to replace it.

Customer :

I want to reset it and program from scratch. cut the power with the fuse box and removed the batteries for 5+ minutes which should reset it and yet it still goes back to the wrong program.

M Oglesby :

That is normal. It will always reset to the default program.

Customer :

Is there a manual way to reset it

M Oglesby :

But it should allow you to change it. There is no manual way to reset it.

Customer :

It is not the default program but my screwed up one that has hold in there that shouldn't be there.

M Oglesby :

This thermostat is damaged.

M Oglesby :

When you remove the batteries, do the screen go blank?

Customer :

The hold button should stop when the run program button is pressed but somehow it is set within the program and reverts to a low temperature that we don't want?

Customer :

Yes the screen goes blank

M Oglesby :

This thermostat is internally damaged on the circuit board. It cannot be repaired.

Customer :

Right now I took the batteries out and then cut the power to the unit by flipping the fuse trying to get it to go the default settings so that I could reprogram but it doesn't work.

M Oglesby :

Is this a heat pump system or straight a/c with gas heat?

Customer :

not sure...Heater is gas I beleive and we do have an AC unit on the front porch.

M Oglesby :

Straight a/c with gas heat.

Customer :

I guess so...

M Oglesby :

I advise you to go to home depot and get a replacement Honeywell thermostat non programmable for $25

M Oglesby :

They are very easy to install.

M Oglesby :

Please hit ACCEPT if you are satisfied with this service. Thanks!

Customer :

But why would you want a non-programmable?

M Oglesby :

Because it is best to leave your thermostat on one temp. This is the most efficient way to use a thermostat.

Customer :

Does that work with the base that's on the wall or does that have to come out. I'm obviously not an electrition...

M Oglesby :

You will have to change the base, but it is not difficult at all.

Customer :

We do use it at one temp but it has a filtration system attached runs off of the program.

M Oglesby :

OOOh

M Oglesby :

In this case, I advise you to have a tech come out and replace this thermostat.

M Oglesby :

The thermostat is definitely gone bad.