Drew1315
Drew1315, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I was a Building Trades Journeyman in the Sheet Metal Union for over 11 1/2 yrs.
17594471

I have a Filtrete 3m-22 thermostat for my 2 stage heat 2 stage

Customer Question

I have a Filtrete 3m-22 thermostat for my 2 stage heat 2 stage cool HVAC system....Carrier...for my downstairs. I just want to make sure it is wired correctly. I have a green, red, orange, white, black, gray, and yellow wires. The green is connected to G, red connected to RH, orange to W, white to W2, gray to C, yellow to Y, and black to Y2. My dad had fooled around with it yesterday, some of the labels are missing, and I wanted to see if those wires are right. My thermostat doesnt seem to be working.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Drew1315 replied 2 years ago.

Customer:

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist your issue.

Customer:

Do you know what the terminals are on the furnace itself?

Customer:

Terminals are designated; R = 24vac C = neutral Y = cooling G = fan W = heat 1 W2 = heat stage 2, RH (24vac heat) RC (24vac cool)

Customer:

This is a generalized termination scheme

Customer :

I believe so.

Customer:

The wires that are used can vary depending on what kind of thermostat wire you are using. What actually matters is the terminals on the furnace / ahu itself

Customer :

So..I need to go under the house and figure that out? Or play with the wiring?

Customer:

well, one thing we can do is, take the red wire, and tie together with the w wire, (looks like it is orange in color?)

Customer:

this should energize first stage heating.

Customer:

IF the wire is terminated correctly at the unit

Customer:

Stage one heat MAY be the white wire

Customer :

Correct. Orange is wired into W at the moment.

Customer:

ok. If you remove these wires from the thermostat subbase first as to not conflict with the thermostat's circuits

Customer:

you can take the R (RH) wire (24vac) and twist the Orange with it and see if this energizes the unit.

Customer:

IF not, twist the white wire to the R (red wire)

Customer :

ok...so try red to orange first...if nothing, try white to red

Customer :

so, just touch the wires together away from the thermostat subbase...kinda like jumping a car

Customer:

correct. Essentially we are bypassing the thermostat.

Customer:

correct.

Customer :

gotcha. Let me try real quick. be back in a sec.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

I will wait patiently

Customer:

In order for the unit to function correctly, we need to figure out what the wires are designated on the furnace / ahu

Customer :

how long should i wait for the heat to kick on once i touch the wires together....and if I'm touching red to white should i reconnect orange into the unit and vice versa?

Customer:

I would give it no more than approx 2 mins. or so. I would leave the orange wire disconnected while R and W are together

Customer:

vice versa

Customer:

Are you able to hear the unit sequence it's operation?

Customer :

ok. Ive got red and white together now. lets see.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

From an assumption, the orange and white wires may have been swapped around, but without knowing which wire is terminated on the furnace / ahu itself, it's difficult to say

Customer:

Was there a problem before you stated that your dad had fooled around with the wiring?

Customer :

yes....I dont like this thermostat. i wanted something more simple. ok orange to red did nothing. white and red dont seem to be kicking the heat on either.

Customer:

ok. It is also possible that a control fuse may have been blown when the problem began.

Customer:

One way we can check this is to take the red wire and twist it with the green wire. This should be the fan circuit.

Customer:

and energize the fan. Unless you have a multi-meter to test and see if there is 24vac present by touching the red and grey wire, the furnace would have to be accessed and wires traced to their terminations on the furnace's control board.

Customer :

The other day, out of the blue, the heat stopped working. had a guy come by and he said that my thermostat wasnt really the best, XXXXX XXXXX was able to jumpstart it at the unit itself under the house. heat came on like a charm. then stopped working again the other day, just like that. so....ok let me do the red to green.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

opinions are just that but it is not for me to judge. I have had really good experience with other types of thermostats

Customer:

energizing the fan within the furnace, will tell us if there is 24vac present within the circuit

Customer:

and this should come on immediately

Customer :

oh...i hate it. it's so complicated for no reason. red to green produced no fan action.

Customer:

lol understand that. Hmm, ok this makes me think that a control fuse may have blown. But will require you to access the unit itself. Possible to that the company that you have called out will have a warranty period on their labor.

Customer:

a control fuse is typically just like a car fuse, either flat being 3 or 5 amps or cylindrical and glass, 3 or 5 amps

Customer :

gotcha. should i give him a call back?

Customer:

these can be purchased at your local hardware or autoparts store

Customer:

well, unless you don't mind accessing the furnace, I know you mentioned that it is under your house. I myself am clausterphobic, and am unable to do service on equipment in a crawlspace

Customer :

i just dont want to get in over my head. Atleast now i have a better understanding of the wiring.

Customer:

absolutely understandle. But a control fuse really can be simple, it's just that being in a unit that is not easy to view, only makes matters more difficult, especially if your not that familiar.

Customer:

understandable**

Customer:

Have you assured that the breaker is on and not tripped in your electrical breaker box as well.

Customer :

I am definitely not familiar.

Customer:

although that is the main voltage to the furnace / ahu, being 110 / 220 vac

Customer :

Oh yes, checked that several times in states of confusion as to why nothing is working....hoping it could be that easy.

Customer:

absolutely, can totally relate with you.

Customer:

Also as to avoid overhead cost with a contractor, you can purchase you a very decent thermostat at your local hardware store or home improvement store.

Customer :

I just called the guy back....he will be here later today. I'm hoping this is simple....the unit itself has been working fine, producing great heat.....I'm praying it's an easy fix. I have my eye on the Honeywell FocusPro 5000:) Ive been shopping....

Customer:

right I totally agree. Yeah, always good to peek around for different types of thermostats like that.

Customer:
Customer:

I mysellf have a commercial stat honeywell vision pro, but is completely unnecessary, not mentioning the cost lol

Customer :

Honeywell seems to be a good product.....but we'll see. Thank you for your help. Have a good one.

Customer:

you as well.

Customer:
Expert:  Drew1315 replied 2 years ago.
Please do not hesitate as to follow up with me or if you need further assistance. Thanks again for the opportunity to assist you with your issue.
Expert:  Drew1315 replied 2 years ago.

Just following up with you. Were you able to get your issue resolved?

Note: If the answer is helpful, please make sure to click the 'Accept Answer' button. This still allows you to continue on with the question that the expert answered but gives the expert the deposit and assures that an expert will continue assisting you with your inquiry. Please be sure to leave a positive feedback as I will do the same and don't hesitate to click my name for future inquiries. Thanks again for the opportunity!

Expert:  Drew1315 replied 2 years ago.

Was the technician able to perform a warranty labor repair?

Note: If the answer is helpful, please make sure to click the 'Accept' button. Please be sure to leave a positive feedback as I will do the same and don't hesitate to click my name for future inquiries. Thanks again for the opportunity!

Expert:  Drew1315 replied 2 years ago.
Following up with you to see if your issue has been resolved. Again, thank you for this opportunity.