Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

how can i tell if the aquastat is bad on my boiler

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 2 years ago.

A-1 Tech :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you today

A-1 Tech :

Is the aquastat attached to line or submerisble?

Customer :

Hi Ron Im A homeowner Trying to Fix This Problem So Bear With me On Some OF your Questions .I have a UTICA BOILER 6YRs.OLD YESTERDAY WHEN I CAME HOME I REALIZED I HAD A PROBLEM SO I WENT DOWN TO CHECK AND FOUND THAT THE BOILER SHUT DOWN BECAUSE THE WATER TEMP> WAS AT 200.AT FIRST I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE CIRC. SO I REPLACED IT .WHEN I TURNED THE BOILER BACK ON TODAY IT DID THE SAME THING ,IT CAME ON UP TO 22o AND SHUT OFF BUT I COULD STILL HEAR THE CIRC. RUNNING.

A-1 Tech :

Is there a bulb coming off the aqua stat? If so, where does it go?

A-1 Tech :

Or if you can get me the aqua stat model number.

Customer :

THE AQUASTAT IS MOUNTED TO THE SIDE OF THE BOILER

Customer :

THE MODEL IS HONEYWELL TYPE L8148e

A-1 Tech :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me a few minutes to look that up.

A-1 Tech :

Does this boiler have a seperate thermostat control?

Customer :

I HAVE 1 THERMOSTAT IN MY LIVING ROOM.

A-1 Tech :

I am thinking the aquastat may be for the limit only

A-1 Tech :

does the thermostat cycle the boiler or controls something else or do you know?

Customer :

CYCES THE BOILER.

A-1 Tech :

the thermostat may be the problem

A-1 Tech :

It sounds like the aqua stat is working as limit, and it is shutting down the boiler.

A-1 Tech :

What is your normal water temp?

Customer :

190

A-1 Tech :

I can assist you with your original question about checking the aqua stat, but that may not be the problem. I can also opt out and turn this over to someone who knows more about your boiler.

Customer :

I also noticed the high limit is set at 190 but it doesnt shut down until 200-220.

A-1 Tech :

I will opt out and let someone else help you that knows this boiler better than I do. Someone will be with you shortly.

A-1 Tech :

Thank you,

A-1 Tech :

Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.

That aqua stat is a limit switch only. On a call form the thermostat the burner and circulator both start. The burner will shut off when the water temp gets to the set point or the space thermostat is satisfied.

what model circulator did you replace

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry i just got back .the circ. was replaced with a taco 007 f5
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.

And you installed it in the correct direction?

So the origanl problem was that you did not have heat in the baseboards?

Did you bleed the air form the sytem after you repalced the pump?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i did bleed it.
Expert:  Bart Jay replied 2 years ago.

Are you certain you put the pump in the correct direction? Is the pump on the return side of the boiler? if yes it is pumping towards the boiler, correct?

Ok so what is the actual problem now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still cant get it to circulate in the system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
no answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
get me an answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
get me an answer
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 2 years ago.

If your boiler has triple acting aquastat then it handles high limit and low limit operations, plus the differential setting and setting should be 190 - 180 for high and low at 170 - 160 and diff at 10

What is the model number of aquastat it should have Lxxxx-xxxx

The aquastat may not be the problem here

Please upload picture of circulator and piping above it so I can see what you need to do