mranswer
mranswer, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  20 years experience running my own business
13971964

i HAVE A TRANE YCD120C3LOAB THE IGNITER GETS HOT BUT THE GAS

Customer Question

i HAVE A TRANE YCD120C3LOAB THE IGNITER GETS HOT BUT THE GAS VALVE WILL NOT OPEN IT HAS A NEG PRES GAS VALVE AND IM NOT FAM. WITH THIS KIND
Category: HVAC
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
You will need a voltmeter here- are you equipped?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
See if the gas valve is getting power when the igniter is on. Turn the furnace off and on to restart it quickly. Valve operates around 24 volts AC so set your meter correctly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when wires are hooked up can't read anything unhook to check I get 11 volts
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
The control board should be powering the valve on here if the igniter has glowed, so it looks like the board is the issue since you have no power going to the valve. Be sure the wiring is tight-fitting that goes to the valve and also see if the control board is flashing a code for a failed ignition- the flashing is explained on the legend on the access door. A bad solder joint on the board is all it takes for it to not work, so you may want to inspect it for such.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the board has 2 led lights the green one is blinking slow I do hear relay on the board making a clicking noise
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
Look at the legend on the unit and see if that flash is explained. It still points to the board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all I see are wire diagrams no legend for the codes any where took off all the panels
and checked will the gas valve open if only 11 volts are sent to it and why can't I read any volts when wires are plugged into valve or am I not going to
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
The slow flash is the normal call for heat- I just like relying on info with the unit as opposed to info found on-line if available. The valve needs 24 volts to open. A bad relay contact will not allow current flow and that is why you read nothing with the valve connected. You can take and attach a few pictures of the schematic and attach them to a reply and I will see if there is any possibility of anything else here. You can trace the gas valve wires back to the control and make sure any safety devices in the loop are closed as a final check.
mranswer, HVAC Mechanic
Experience: 20 years experience running my own business
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I will check for safety in line I just seen stuff on line about the valve needing neg pressure to open and wondering if that was a reason I will check the wires now
Expert:  mranswer replied 2 years ago.
The pressure switch needs negative pressure, not the gas valve. The igniter would not come on if the pressure switch was not satisfied, so that is why I narrowed in on the gas valve itself. Thanks and let me know if anything else is needed here.